1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please on duties.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Gavlar, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Hi Everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster. Mainly due to me being volunteered for the NUT rep post for my small school.

Came back to school this week to enjoy the usual training days, but with an unwelcome addition to our timetable. The staff have always had a 1 break duty per week timetable, and the volunteer paid extra duties at lunch time, but we have been informed that each member of teaching staff now have 2 or 3 lots of week-long morning duties (8:00am to 8:20am) that have been introduced to patrol the bus parks as students arrive; much to the surprise of the staff.

Yes, we have morning briefing 2 times a week at 8:10, but 3 members of staff have been to see me to say that their child care starts at 8:00am at the earliest, and they cannot make this newly instated "duty".

Being new to the role, any advice would be amazing, and I would love any feedback that I can go back to the members of staff with.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

What time does directed time start? Is it 8.00?

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd also add - training for bus duties? Hi-vis jackets?

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

As wanet says, what gives the head the right to assume that you are paid to be there at 8 am? And why are staff volunteering for lunchtime duties?

5. coppull

coppull New commenter

Clearly no consultation with the staff,thus the problems caused with child care arrangements. Contact your NUT Regional Centre. We assume that the buses come on to your school site,if not then you do not have to do the bus duties !!!

Perhaps the HT and SMT can do the bus duties. They will must likely had a pay rise under PM. How many of your staff will receive a pay rise under PM this year. I suggest your staff stop doing any none contractual duties and give up any their free time to the school. The school will grind to a halt very quickly and the message will reach the HT. Get your support from the NUT

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Unacceptable.

How was this managed previously??

7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

wanet said nothing of the sort. wanet asked what time Directed Time starts and that's my question to OP too. In principle, if this is supervising children on the school site when they arrive for school on the school buses, it's a reasonable task that teachers can be directed to do. But it has to be within the overall Directed Time of teachers and this should be recorded in the school's Directed Time calendar. And if it's a change the change should have been consulted on.

Why shouldn't they? OP says they are being paid for the lunchtime duty. Perhaps they need the money?

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

An important point - teachers have no powers to direct traffic on the road, and even 'managing' children there could put one in danger of facing legal consequences. I would refuse any duty 'off premises'....

9. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Staff required to do lunchtime duties? What happened to the role of 'Lunchtime Supervisor'? I can't justify as to why SMT would do this... Teaching staff have heavy loads as it is, without the need for this extra work. That's what Lunchtime Supervisors are contracted to do.

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They aren't required to. OP says that (a) staff are volunteers, and (b) they get paid for doing it.

Why staff volunteer when teachers have such heavy workloads I've no idea. Perhaps they just need the money.