1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice please on AQA unit 4 philosophy

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by x_angeleyes_x, Jun 16, 2012.

1. The 4 main topics I teach are The existence of God, The problem of evil and suffering, Immortality and Science and Religion. Technically we only have time to teach 4 in detail, but what I tend to do is spend a bit longer on miracles under The existence of God unit, so that is covered too. We teach with an hour a week too, and if you wanted to leave enough time for revision then it is difficult to squeeze much more in.

Hope that helps!

2. lesley66

lesley66 New commenter

The science topic has three bits really - cosmological revolution (which is entirely descriptive, so quite straightforward to teach), then science v religion re evolution/creation, then science v religion re big bang/creation story. It isn't hard, but deals with scientific ideas (so some kids - and teachers - think it is harder than it is). Revelation is essentially two bits - a short one about special revelation, and the longer bit about general revelation. There is little difference between this and what was taught on syllabus D many years ago, then spec B which replaced syllabus D in the fomr of a philosophy and ethics paper. I think it is a bit early to say AQA are making the questions easier - there have only been three years of questions, and that isn't enough for a dumbing down trend (regardless of whether Ofsted think you are only as good as your last three years!).I teach the science one - and the kids enjoy the Cosmological with its characters (Tycho Brahe and his golden nose, for example!) which they remember. Then they get to go argue with science teachers about just how sound an idea it is that everything came from nothing (Big Bang!). It is worth a try.

3. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks everyone for the advice - angeleyes it sounds like you are essentially doing what I hope to. Lesley - golden nose?? Sorry - don't know what you mean - what am I missing?

4. lesley66

lesley66 New commenter

Tycho Brahe was in a duel and had the end of his nose cut off. He had a gold one screwed to his face to replace it - well, you'd look wierd with no nose, wouldn't you!

5. san38

san38 New commenter

I will be sure to look this up....