1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please - new HoD dos and don'ts

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by tb9605, Apr 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Snorkers

Snorkers New commenter

I'd ask you their opinions on the results - can they help fill in the reasons for the 'unexpected' results (they will know much more about work ethic etc which won't be reflected in predicted grades)? Are there any general lessons to learn for this year? This will help when you do your results analysis.

This is then a good intro to any specific things that *you* would like to happen in terms of teaching and learning - e.g. frequent, low-stakes testing; or half-termly assessments, or whatever it is. If you don't have specific ideas at the moment, then find out from them what will make their life easier/better - you can't promise anything but an open discussion based on their needs may help you prioritise your work over the next year. You could even sit down with the main headings of your department development plan and get their thoughts on the department's current position.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Established commenter

If your school has a sensible induction procedure they'll give you an established HoD as a buddy for the first few weeks. If not, see if you can ask to be buddied up with one.
    In the meeting try to provide documents in advance so that they don;t need to be dissected and analysed on the spot.

3. weggster

weggster New commenter

Oops. Thought I was in the maths forum!

Deleted message.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I've taken up the Head of English role in two schools now - the first I worked in and knew very well - the second was brand new and I had little opportunity to get to know the school or dept before I started so here is my advice:

1. Your own teaching load will be harder than you expect as you will have to re-establish yourself and run a department so focus on being consistent and competent - don't worry about being whizzy to start with.
    2. Your workload will increase to start with - whilst you get used to stuff so make sure you spend a break a day getting to know your faculty - also try to make time at the end of the day to visit them in their rooms and see how their day has gone etc ...
    3. Don't put too much stock on what the previous HoF might have told y U about individuals
    4. Don't change things / policies for the sake of change - make sure changes you do put in our for the better
    5. Set out your vision (with the team's help) in your first faculty meeting - if you want to know what I've done that has / hasn't worked on this front- PM me & I'm happy to share :)

wanet, Tangalle and sabrinakat like this.
  5. Tangalle

Tangalle New commenter

6. Tangalle

Tangalle New commenter

I've started a conversation with you, is that the same as a PM?!

7. wassurfbabe

wassurfbabe New commenter

8. wassurfbabe

wassurfbabe New commenter

Hi. I would really value your advice. I am sitting in 'my' new office and am surrounded by what seem to have been odd/bad decisions, weird stuff and I have no idea where to start. How do I PM you? I have tried but cannot work it out.
    wassurfbabe

9. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I've sent you one - go to conversations & it should be there!

wassurfbabe likes this.
  10. pianopete

pianopete New commenter

Also sent you a conversation starter!

wassurfbabe likes this.