1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Please - Moving from Y6 to Y4 in September!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Miike2, May 21, 2011.

1. Dear all,

I've just learned I'm moving from Year 6 to Year 4 in September. I love Y6 but am very positive about the move. Can anyone advise me on what I might need to know, and on how I might need to adapt my teaching style for the younger children?
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Miike2

2. I made just the same move last September and I've really enjoyed teaching Year 4, even though I equally enjoyed teaching Year 6.
    I have found the children in Year 4 much more needy. Being only 8 when they come to you, they need your support much more than Year 6 and, initially, I found this very wearing.
    They also still like playing with toys (naturally, of course), and they tend to 'tell tales' much more.
    I found the teaching easier - they get through less in a lesson and there is less marking - but I found the proportion of children unable to read/write successfully was higher and SEN has taken up much more of my time. I found that I needed to slow down the pace of my lessons because they didn't necessary grasp things as quickly as Year 6.
    Good luck and I hope you really enjoy it. I'm hoping to stay in Year 4 for a while yet.

3. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm making the switch the other way next year! In Year 4 I find it's very easy to get the children to laugh by being a bit silly, which I love as I can act up and then they're all smiley for me!
    They can also be quite adoring without you having to try much; mine shower me with cards telling me I'm the "best teacher ever" that they've made in golden time, which I'm preparing not to expect in Year 6!
    A lot of them need reiteration of instructions, or only a couple at once and, as Classroomlife said, they are very quick to tell you that so-and-so is making faces at them, or took their chair or won't let them use the rubber...
    I do love Year 4, I think it's the most relaxed and fun in the juniors. The children appreciate a good joke and being silly, but you also have children who enjoy being stretched with things they don't need to know. It's quite easy to calm them down (on the whole) and, as they're all smaller than you, easy to have more of a firm hand with them.
    Good luck! I might just be wishing I was back there come the autumn!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's only a 2 year jump. Didn't you do lower juniors on teaching practice? If it was Y6 to Y1, then that is a big difference!
    They are a bit younger but can be just as bright as y6 or they can be at y1 level. Some will need lots of challenging, some will need lots of support. Some can read thick novels, some can't read.
    Story of teaching really.

5. I think it's a big jump! I made the switch from Y6 to Y4 a few years ago and loved it! I found the year 4s enthusiastic and really keen to please me, which was a pleasant change from the attitudes of some our Y6 leavers who had simply outgrown primary school by the end of the year!
    They love drawing pictures and making little badges that say 'best teacher', they make me coasters and decorate mugs and glasses for me, they bring in home-baked things that I (sometimes) eat! Our topics are great too, and it feels like we have the time to do all the creative activities that tend to get pushed to one side in Y6 until after SATs. I felt like I was teaching properly again, rather than spending most of the year worrying about 11 plus and SATs.
    I'm sure you'll love it!

6. Hi,
    I currently teach a bright year 4 class with ability range from 1b - 4b!
    My pitch started at 3c and has moved to 3b as the year progressed.
    I have found children are very manageable at this age, - keen to please, very maleable in the sense that they havn't yet developed the worldly cyniscism of year sixes!
    I would say watch your groupings, - keep boys apart as much as possible as they do get very silly at times and be prepared for the girls to fall out and make up a dozen times in a week!
    Topics are great - over the past two years I have covered Anceint Greeks, Tudors, Egyptians, Rivers and France, to name but a few!
    Someone else commented that you need to break instructions down - yes, very true, - 2 or 3 at a time. I still use sentence starters for level 3s and lots and loits of word prompts. Punctuation has been big for us this year - higher ability now using subordinate clauses, whilst I am still reminding the less able to use capital letters and full-stops!
    They are just developing a sense of humour and beginning to undertsand puns and they can grasp abstract ideas.
    All in all a lovely year group!
    Hope that helps,

Janice

7. Thanks to all who have posted for their advice!