1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice, please - mobile internet dongle connection.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by markuss, Jan 24, 2011.

1. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I've been on the internet to find advice for buying into internet connection on the move and it all looks very complex.
    I'd like pay as you go internet connection for the time I'm away from home. This year, it may be forty to fifty days, mainly working away with some holiday time, too. All in the U.K.
    Mobile phone - I'm with Orange.
    Just want advice on good deals for OCCASIONAL internet connection with my little netbook when I'm on trains or in hotels. (The ones I stay in seem to be the ones that charge for IT connection!)
    Anyone? Thanks in advance.
    m.

2. markuss

I've been on the internet to find advice for buying into internet connection on the move and it all looks very complex.
    I'd like pay as you go internet connection for the time I'm away from home. This year, it may be forty to fifty days, mainly working away with some holiday time, too. All in the U.K.
    Mobile phone - I'm with Orange.
    Just want advice on good deals for OCCASIONAL internet connection with my little netbook when I'm on trains or in hotels. (The ones I stay in seem to be the ones that charge for IT connection!)
    Anyone? Thanks in advance.
    m.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

There was a thread on this a week or so ago. Can you do a search? I think it was that most PAYG dongles all had an expiry of 30 days. There may have been one (Vodafone?) that wasn't x

4. I have a T mobile one that I use at home. It is variable - sometimes works fine, other days is a complete no go zone and won't connect. Even on a good day you cannot use instant chat facilities like msn messenger or facebook chat. Mine costs £2 for a day, or £15 for a month.

5. baitranger

baitranger New commenter

Because I use my laptop to watch tv on iplayer, my monthly download totals are about 17gb, so 1-3gb wouldn't be enough for me, but if you just use it for a bit of surfing / email away from home I suppose it's OK. Check how much you download though-it could be more than you think if you use iplayer.

6. impis

impis New commenter

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/459056.aspx?PageIndex=2#6348744 for a previous discussion on the same subject.
    In the end I went with the T-Mobile one. Your initial top up of £10 is banked and you use it, £2 at a time for each day's use. However, as a thankyou for becoming a new customer, the first £2 gives you unlimited access to the internet for 30 days. [instead of one day]
    Plus, the dongle has a slot for one of those teeny memory cards that fits into a phone - so you can also use it as a memory stick [up to 4gb supported]
    Pretty good. Ignore their 'coverage' information page on their website - its rubbish and said that i would have no coverage here - but I do.

7. markuss

Thanks, both.