1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please - getting bumped by HR?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Jan 14, 2012.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've just seen a job I would LOVE, and it is almost identical to the role I was undertaking when I left the UK. However I've applied for a number of jobs at this University (in a variety of different roles, all of which I am more than qualified for) and am starting to wonder if HR are ruling me out due to my visa?
    The applications have to be online and there is a tick box re visa.
    Our permanent visas are currently processing (and I see no problems at all in getting them) but I don't want to lie and say that's the visa we have.
    The application does give a contact for questions etc. Do you think I should get in touch with them prior submitting my application electronically? I don't really have any questions prior to seeing the department as I understand the role, should I offer to visit? Is it the 'done' thing for Higher Ed applications in Australia? (its a 5 hour drive each way so I can't just pop in)
    Opinions are welcomed please [​IMG] x

2. littlemissraw

I've just seen a job I would LOVE, and it is almost identical to the role I was undertaking when I left the UK. However I've applied for a number of jobs at this University (in a variety of different roles, all of which I am more than qualified for) and am starting to wonder if HR are ruling me out due to my visa?
    The applications have to be online and there is a tick box re visa.
    Our permanent visas are currently processing (and I see no problems at all in getting them) but I don't want to lie and say that's the visa we have.
    The application does give a contact for questions etc. Do you think I should get in touch with them prior submitting my application electronically? I don't really have any questions prior to seeing the department as I understand the role, should I offer to visit? Is it the 'done' thing for Higher Ed applications in Australia? (its a 5 hour drive each way so I can't just pop in)
    Opinions are welcomed please [​IMG] x

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I would try and get in touch - the tick box thing may well be the basic trawl that they do, and not having the right response may well be dismissing your application.
    Good luck LMR.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. littlemissraw

Thanks for the quick reply Theo. What reason would you use for getting in touch? Should I just outline my situation? Or contact them for a visit and hope they like me enough to ask HR for my application? x

5. littlemissraw

Also in addition to 2 page covering letter. ES (required) and application they want 4 pages?!!! on teaching guidelines. I want to cry [​IMG]

6. littlemissraw

...and am

7. littlemissraw

Also realised my ES needs to be ridiculously long! (This is the example for ONE point)
    Position: Administrative Assistant Reference No. 0007
    Essential criteria: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.

Using the STAR approach

Situation I have been secretary to a number of senior level organisational committees.

Task My responsibilities have included organising meetings, researching background
    information, taking minutes, and preparing and distributing agendas, reports, minutes and
    action sheets. In my current position I am required to brief my manager on new matters as
    they arise to ensure he is informed about relevant issues being discussed by subcommittees
    outside his responsibility.

Action At the beginning of each financial year I book meeting venues to make sure all
    committees have a suitable and regular meeting venue. I have participated in a training
    course, which has assisted me to take minutes in a style agreed to by my organisation. This
    has guided me in ensuring agendas and minutes follow a prescribed order of business, and
    motions, amendments and resolutions are noted accurately. This facilitates prompt and
    efficient retrieval of information.

Two weeks prior to each meeting I contact the designated members of each subcommittee
    to assess if actions have been undertaken and whether they require extra
    resources or support. I am often required to undertake significant responsibility for some of
    these actions, and find it necessary to negotiate the parameters of my assistance with
    some committee members. This involves good listening and paraphrasing skills to
    accurately understand what is being requested of me, and appropriate use of assertion skills so committee members don’t overload me with their own tasks.

Result Feedback from most committee members has indicated that they feel I am a competent
    secretary, performing tasks accurately and on time. Some committee members
    appreciate my direct manner and have commented on my excellent negotiation skills.

Feeling like climbing Everest would be easier than getting a job at the moment... would love some encoragement or something [​IMG]

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't be of much practical help here littlemissraw. (We think applications in this country are tough! )Seems like they're even worse for you!
    I wonder if there's a space somewhere to mention that your visas are being processed, but the pessimistic side of me says, that they probably give a glance down the form, see the box saying no to visa and probably wouldn't read any further., which wouldn't solve the problem.
    I reckon it's definitely worth while contacting HR and asking for their advice on this.
    By the by, trust you're settling 'down under' and starting to make some friends and do something with your time other than job applications. You need a break sometimes to re-assess and come back refreshed.
    Looking forward to the day we can add you to our 'pending' interviews reminder thread and then og course the I've got the job' one!

9. littlemissraw

Thanks so much for the support Lara, unfortunately no job means I've not made any friends yet as nowhere to meet them [​IMG]). I am joining the gym next week (when my OH gets paid) so I'm hoping the classes might give me some company.
    Previously I've been mentioning my visa in the letter but as you supected too I don't think they even get that far. How are things for you? Hope you're having better luck xx