1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please for nqt in Science

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by abusybee, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi,

I am a science teacher in an academy. I have passed numerous observations , ran after school clubs and work hard to teach children in a fairly tough area. I have just had my grades back for an early entry gcse science exam (edexcel) and they are terrible. The exam has changed from
    multiple choice to long answer questions and I only had since September to teach them for the November paper. I have been given no resources and planned the entire course from the exam board spec. I contacted smt and asked for extra hours as we had insufficient time to get through all the work. This was denied and I organised weeks of lunchtime clubs to go through revision books. They are a lovely group and most worked well. The hod is off sick for this term, I have had no help from the other science teacher in the department and we only have limited lab tech support.
    We have now found that moderators will be in to check year 11 work and I'm feeling overwhelmed as I've inherited alot of course work that is unmarked in a massive pile. I am also helping the supply teacher get her ( equally chaotic) work sorted and helping her find her way in the department. My hod is a lovely lady and has even seriously I'll and has recently taken over the department so has inherited some chaos.

I feel really overwhelmed I want to remotivate my year 9 group, appease parents, help others and manage my ever increasing work load. I'm not afraid of working hard and am a mature entrant into teaching but feel that I'm swamped! Things are compounded by a lack of support by another teacher inthe dept (who often asked me for help) .i think the main problem is that I try my best to get things done so am continually being asked to do more and have difficult student put into my group!

Any advice from more experienced colleagues woulda be appreciated! My mentor is lovely but work part time so I have it had 2 obs and 1 meeting with him since sept!

Thanks

2. Hi,

I am a science teacher in an academy. I have passed numerous observations , ran after school clubs and work hard to teach children in a fairly tough area. I have just had my grades back for an early entry gcse science exam (edexcel) and they are terrible. The exam has changed from
    multiple choice to long answer questions and I only had since September to teach them for the November paper. I have been given no resources and planned the entire course from the exam board spec. I contacted smt and asked for extra hours as we had insufficient time to get through all the work. This was denied and I organised weeks of lunchtime clubs to go through revision books. They are a lovely group and most worked well. The hod is off sick for this term, I have had no help from the other science teacher in the department and we only have limited lab tech support.
    We have now found that moderators will be in to check year 11 work and I'm feeling overwhelmed as I've inherited alot of course work that is unmarked in a massive pile. I am also helping the supply teacher get her ( equally chaotic) work sorted and helping her find her way in the department. My hod is a lovely lady and has even seriously I'll and has recently taken over the department so has inherited some chaos.

I feel really overwhelmed I want to remotivate my year 9 group, appease parents, help others and manage my ever increasing work load. I'm not afraid of working hard and am a mature entrant into teaching but feel that I'm swamped! Things are compounded by a lack of support by another teacher inthe dept (who often asked me for help) .i think the main problem is that I try my best to get things done so am continually being asked to do more and have difficult student put into my group!

Any advice from more experienced colleagues woulda be appreciated! My mentor is lovely but work part time so I have it had 2 obs and 1 meeting with him since sept!

Thanks