1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please - cancelling long term student

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Emma_2018, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Emma_2018

Emma_2018 New commenter

Good evening all, I am after some advice with one of the students I tutor.

I have been tutoring a girl since year 10 and she is now in Year 12. She opted for my subject for A Level and is currently studying unit choices that I have never taught before so preparing for her sessions takes a long time as I am having to check out specs, examiner reports etc whereas with my other student’s I currently teach the unit/exam board they study so I am only planning for their gaps/needs but not also getting up to date with specs and creating/finding resources.

I have got to the point that planning for our sessions is creating a stressful workload on top of my other student’s and planning for my classes. I would like to drop this student but feel a sense of guilt as I really don’t have a valid reason other than it is very time consuming and also I am not quite sure how to word it when telling them. Any advice on how to tell her parents I want to stop?

2. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I wouldn't make it too personal, but simply say that you will be unable to continue tutoring after .....(date). This is because your in-school responsibilities mean that to obtain a better work-life balance you need to cut back on tutoring.

3. gainly

gainly Established commenter

I think I would say something like:
    I am not familiar with these units and so I am not able to provide all the support your daughter needs. I suggest you find a tutor who is more familiar with them and so better able to help her.

Of course if she is doing something rather obscure and so unlikely to be able to find a tutor who was familiar with the units that might not work.

Kateray1 likes this.
  4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

If you are open and honest with parents and students there is never a problem. I would tell them exactly what you have written on the forum. I don't believe any teacher can be an expert on every specification at A level and students must know this. It always amazes me when I see adverts for other tutors offering 4 different A levels. Often from young graduates with no teaching experience. How on earth can anyone do that? Either they are geniuses or are being misleading.

Kateray1 and langteacher like this.
  5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If you know any other local tutors you can recommend, that would probably help.

6. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I don’t offer A levels at all but recently a long term in fact my first ever student decided to give AS level English a go. I firmly stated I am not an A level tutor etc, we do bridging units together and I am trying to help her get to the point where she feels able to go and do the year in a college with a more experienced teacher. It’s working so far but yes it has added masses to my workload:(.