1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please! being an NQT and pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Injins, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

First time posting in this section and I'm after people's advice and opinions.

I'm doing my PGCE now and hopefully (if I don't spend too long on here) will graduate in July and have a job lined up for September.

I'm 29, and my partner is 31. We would really like to start TTC from January next year. I'm not getting any younger,we are settled in our relationship and in the last few months have been very broody.

I was wondering how common it is for NQTs to become pregnant and whether it causes much bad feeling amongst other staff members.

I know that I would fee incredibly guilty being in a job a year and then announcing that I'm swanning off to give birth... but on the other hand I feel I should start trying given my age and how long it could take to get pregnant.

When I worked as a TA, a teacher started with us and then within 8 weeks announced that she was pregnant. The rest of the staff weren't happy with her and I really don't want to be returning to a job where people resent me for having a baby so soon after starting a job.

The chances are that It'll take us a while from me coming off of my injection to conceiving but my mother has been oh so encouraging with her comment "Us ***** [insert surname] are fertile Mertles, you know. You'll be pregnant before you can blink. I was with you". So its something i need to consider.

Any advice / opinions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance :0)

2. Thanks Google Chrome for eating my paragraphs. I do apologise.

3. I would go for it-as you say it might not happen immediately. It really is no ones business if you get pregnant and people will really not mind (who cares if they do you'll be pregnant so will be so happy you'll not be bothered). Also what is more important work or your family? I've been trying 2 years now and still not happened so these things can take time I wouldn't put it off if you're ready. T xx

4. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

As another one who has been ttc for a while (12th cycle started today [​IMG]) I'd also say 'go for it.' At the end of the day, your life is more important than a job; a job is only part of your life and shouldn't define who you are (although I do feel that my job is my life a lot of the time!) You might not fall pg straight away and if you do, you have nothing to feel embarrassed or ashamed about, and you could always say something along the lines of it being a happy accident or you were led to believe it would take a while and it didn't.
    Good luck with whatever you decide!

5. Although I think the sentiment of 'go for it' is great and really positive there are a few things that i would personally consider before trying in NQT year.
    For example there is a rule about having worked for same employer for certain no. of weeks before becoming pregnant in order to claim Stat mat. pay which may be a big factor(I'm afraid i'm not clear on the details but it isn't for long). Also I must admit that i found the NQT year very intense and hard work and would not have wanted to be worrying about my health/feeling sick etc during that year. it took all of my emotional energy!
    Sorry if i sound a bit negative- that is only my personal gut feeling. i think if i were in your position i might wait til the New Year and start then- that way if you DID get pregnant very qucikly you would finsish the NQT year.
    Good luck x

6. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Ladymarm - you are so right! Well done for putting forward a balanced case! I think personally I'm at the stage where I just think 'I wish it was me' and 'I wish I'd tried sooner' and so on and so forth. This results in a slightly hasty approach perhaps, where other people are concerned as I don't want them to feel like I do.

7. Hiya, I'm an NQT and am on my first month of TTC this month. Have been married for 4 years and feel like the time is right. If it did happen straight away, I would still be able to complete my NQT year. I definitely wouldn't advise anyone to be TTC before xmas of NQT year, as it is hard work enough just settling in to teaching and a new school, without also worrying about what time of the month it is and if you're ovulating!

8. I know exactly what you mean toeinwater! It is not nice to think of anyone 'putting it off' and then regretting that decision later.
    Apologies to the original poster just reread your post and see that you plan to start ttc in January anyway. presuming you stary NQT year in Septemberthat might work out well for you! Sorry didn't read that bit first time round.

9. I agree with ladymarm. I would leave trying until the summer if it was me. I don't think that 6 months will make that much difference in terms of not leaving it too long. I felt awful when I was pregnant, ended up being off work with sickness, back pain etc. You need to make sure that you have passed your NQT year imo, then at least that's behind you. Of course some people seem to breeze through pregnancy and this may be you!
    Don't worry about what people think though - they will survive.

10. I am usually of the "Go for it" brigade but I would have *hated* to be pregnant in my NQT year. Perhaps wait until towards the end of the year. Obviously it's your choice and you may cope better but I have really struggled with sickness and exhaustion, aches and pains etc this time and last time the first 3 months were in the summer term and I really really struggled.

11. We've been ttc for almost 2 years and I had these concerns when I started my new post last September. Unfortunately for us it's taking longer than we ever expected.
    Despite this I'm in complete agreement with Clematis as I would have hated being pregnant in my NQT year. I know it happens, but the thought of pregnancy sickness on top of what you can pick up in your first year makes me shudder! Also I think you have to be employed for 26 weeks (might be wrong) to qualify for any maternity pay.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

12. You have to have been employed for 26 weeks by the time you are 25 weeks pregnant for the same employer to get SMP. You have to have been employed in a maintained school by an LEA for a year or more to get any occupational maternity pay.

I would say wait until at least Easter - you want to establish yourself in the school first, just incase you have problems with sickness and absence because of pregnancy.

13. I personally would (and did!) leave it a little bit longer than the January. The NQT year gets pretty stressful at that time until exams (if you're secondary anyway) and the dark nights, parents evenings and all the other NQT stuff plus pregnancy would have wiped me out.
    We started trying in the summer of my NQT year, the if I had got pregnant straight away I wouldn't need to say anything until after the hols. As it happened I got my BFP in October and am due in June. This time of year has still got to me and I have been off sick 3 times this half term due to pregnancy related issues. Remember there is a limit on how many sick days you can have as an NQT and things like high blood pressure or other complications could leave you with no option other than to be off sick.

14. I am an NQT and due in october. We didn't start trying until the baby would be due when I had been there a year. I got pregnant pretty quickly. No way could I have coped with being pregnant during first term of NQT as it was hard! However, I am working in a school I did a big block PGCE placement in so I know the school well and didn't have to do the whole settling in thing which can be tough. Yes it is hard at the moment, and I'm not feeling amazing and have had a couple of days off, but I think when you are faced with a situation you just get on with it. With sickness, you can't take more than 30 days off in your NQT year, but I'm not sure how pregnancy related sickness affects this. I would say go for it after the Christmas of your NQT year as then you will have been there a year and if you get pregnant quickly it works out well for maternity leave! Good luck!

15. Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to such a personal post.

I think you all have a very valid point in saying that being pregnant during NQT year could be awful. I think on reflection we should be looking at Easter of my NQT year as a bench mark to start trying seriously. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, a few months isn't going to make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of baby making but it could mean the difference between finding my NQT year challenging and finding it flippin' awful to complete.

Ok, will start the folic acid at Christmas, and be raring to go come Easter next year!