1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice please about getting a rescue cat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wordsworth, Jul 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Both of our cats were rescue cats. One lived for 10 years before succumbing to thyroid problems. The other is still with us at 20 but needs daily medication. It was 18 months before cat 2 would sit on our laps, because she'd been found living wild. She is now a confirmed lap cat but still likes the outdoor life. Our last vet's bill for a couple of urine tests was over £100. Our vet says the oldest cat he's ever dealt with was 24, so when you consider an 'older' cat you might want to bear in mind its age in the context of likely medical needs and the cost of pet insurance, which we don't have.

However much longer Cat 2 lives, she will have had a far better life than if she'd remained feral, and she's like a family member to us. It's been a pleasure to know her.

2. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

My sincere thanks, everyone, you've given me loads to think about.

3. Laura_0123

Laura_0123 New commenter

Hiya

Me and my husband adopted 2 kittens shortly after we moved in together. I was desperate for 2 ginger kittens so I rushed into adopting them from the first rescue I saw on facebook. We visited the house and the house smelt really bad of animals but I thought it must have been a bad day. The person we adopted from said that they had had the flu but wouldn't become ill again from it.

The day we took them home we had to take them to the vets because they had: infected bite wounds, fleas, worms, malnourished and sticky eyes. No wonder she bundled them into the carrier fast so we couldn't see them. When we told her she just gave us abuse and told us to take them back but she would not pay for any treatment even though in our adoption contract is says they would. How could we give such poorly cats back to the person mis treating them?!

It took 4 months, over £3.5k and alot of tears and stress for us to nurse them better. We love them to bits and I am glad that they came to us instead of being mis treated any longer but it was a shock to our system.

My advice: Go to a long standing rescue such as the RSPCA or Cats Protection.
    xx

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

We are on our second rescue cat from the local RSPCA shelter. They find it really difficult to rehome older cats (pretty much anything over kitten age!) If you don't have young children then please consider giving an older cat a home. Coming from the RSPCA they had both been neutered which should be the law for anyone passing on animals. They had been treated to full health including teeth etc. Take time to play with the cat when you are there. Some are too aggressive, some are too nervous, but there will be one that matches your household.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

sorry, more..
    find a vet who will do a monthly payment to cover flea/worming treatments etc, it can be a costly business but that spreads the load and saves sudden heavy months. We found the vet at the local petsathome was a stream of locums who always tried to sell us something extra. Now happily using a chain "VetsforPets" and finding them much better, not too expensive but good.
    Don't send a fortune on beds etc. Cats are very individual and might use a bed but will probably ignore it and the expensive scratch post until you give up, then go and use it just to annoy you.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

My current cat was a rescue at 1 years old. The advantage of an older cat is that their personality has usually settled. With a kitten it might start out as a lap cat and then become aloof and independent. Our rescue centre advised giving cats 2 weeks to settle, but I would say 4. She was very affectionate but also very scared and at times aggressive. We had to wear jeans and shoes inside for the first few weeks as she would attack and bite our ankles without warning and she wasn't playing! Now you couldn't hope for a more affectionate lap cap who is a real mummy's girl. She even insists on following me to the toilet. We suspect her male owner didnt treat her well and may have kicked her, hence her need to attack first. She is still a bit bitey with strange men and I am careful around young children. She used to steal food such as pizza and bags of wraps, I don't think he fed her properly. She had lots of bad habits, but was toilet trained, which is the other advantage of an older cat over kitten as they have to be kept indoors for longer. We used a water spray to stop unwanted behaviour. There are some things we have let go, like her drinking from the taps and sleeping in weird places. From day one she slept on the highest place, the fridge freezer, so she could keep watch. Now her favourite place is even higher and is on the cupboards above the fridge freezer. We gave up trying expensive cat beds and just have 2 blankets, one on the freezer and one on top of the cupboard.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Sorry, missed your question earlier somehow.

Yes, she's had them about 3-4 years, they don't seem to have got any better.

8. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

I wonder if that could explain cat B? He was a stray- so we don't have a clue at what age he was neutered, just younger than his current 2-3 ish years.
    He really doesn't think that any other cats should have a right to be in his area (one beat him up a few months ago so hopefully he'll learn from the experience).

9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Some female cats are the same.
    They seem to have individual tolerance levels

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Tortie cats are always stroppy mares!!!