1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice oversees job opportunities

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by lauraj1, Sep 17, 2018.

1. lauraj1

lauraj1 New commenter

hi all. I am after some advice. i have booked a week overseas where i am planning on relocating with my son. I am arranging meetings during this time to secure contracts for summer.. as well as visiting the school for my son. I made a mistake and booked a week term time!! after trying to rearrange i found that i cannot as 1. i cannot change my flights and 2. the flights stop that week so i am on the last flight back. my senior link has told me that i will not get the time approved and may face a disciplinary if i go! which i must as it is to secure my move and work... and i cannot go in our holiday time. please help.. what can i do? rellocating is happening for me one way or another and this week there is to ensure i can do this.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I'm really confused as to why you're going abroad for a week to secure a job there. Those of us who work abroad generally apply for vacancies on the internet or through agencies, and conduct an interview via Skype or phone interview. Can you not do the same? Even if you're exploiting contacts to secure a role, can this not happen via Skype?

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Yeh i have to agree, you have totally over done it. You can easily get an international job via skype.
    I have been doing it for nearly 12 years, and apart from the living hell i worked at in Spain it has been amazing. I am NEVER teaching in the UK again....i couldnt afford the massive pay cut to start with