1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Yr 9 Art lesson - Portraiture

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by mharvey89, Oct 22, 2011.

1. I'm a PGCE student and am in the middle of planning for my first lessons to be delivered after half term! :s
    I have planned 30mins in the lesson for the class to draw a rough sketch of themselves from the photo they were asked to bring in as homework using pencil and paper. I have then planned 30 mins for the class to improve their drawing by tracing their image with acetate and marker pens. They will then be using the acetate as an aid when they start painting their portraits next lesson.
    They have previously been taught about the proportions of the face, and i will provide a short demonstration to drawing portraits to go along with this.
    Is this plan too ambitious for a Year 9 class? If so what would you suggest to make it more understandable?

2. joli2

joli2 New commenter

It doesn't sound enough for some students. You need to plan an extension activity. Also, you must plan for those students who don't bring in a photo for whatever reason.

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

How long does the activity take when
    you do it? It takes students roughly 3x as long as you (I've found). I
    estimate the planned activities would take about 30-40 minutes in
    total. So:
    I wouldn't be asking for a 'rough sketch' to start with, but a considered drawing.
    You need to plan an extension activity.
    Also, consider why you are asking them to copy from the photo (to learn to scale up, to stylise)?

and where the painted portraits are going - are you aiming for realism or looking at different artists' styles?

4. I had already planned to use their class photos if some students fail to bring in a photo they'd prefer to draw.
    The class will be researching contemporary artist Elizabeth Peyton, so the initital sketch will be used as a basis for their final painting in the style of Peyton. Would 45 minutes to draw their face with focus on getting the proportions correct be enough then?
    Extension: to produce another self portrait using continous line drawing (get opportunity to practice different style?)
    Next lesson: They will be painting their drawings in the style of Peyton using poster paint.
    I'm a portraiture artist and hence why i'm finding this topic particularly difficult to plan for! Again i don't want to be too ambitious!

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I think 45 minutes is too long for some. It really depends on the class/individual students and you don't know them yet. Give them 30 minutes. Then evaluate re. proportions (students swap work to evaluate each others?) then 10 minutes to re-trace on the acetate making changes (be clear what changes you want them to make and why or they'll just be tracing for the sake of it). Maybe finish with a 10-15 minute presentation on the artist so they can see where they're going with the work.
    Why are you not working from direct observation, just out of interest? As an observer I'd be asking what are the learning benefits of working from a photo.