1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on writing a personal/ supporting statement??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dottysbird, Mar 20, 2005.

1. if someone wouldn't mind sending me an example of their supporting statement i would be eternally grateful. I'm in the process of re-writing mine,as sent off for lots of jobs but no invites to interviews, so something is wrong and any help would be much appreciated. My email address
    bernandbri@talktalk.net

2. Could I please have a copy of your support statement.
    Just need something to tell me if I am on the right track.
    thanks
    lisetecassandra@hotmail.com

3. Hello Goerdie,

Would you be kind enough to send me a copy of that personal/supporting statement.
    I worked on one recently as I had an interview but I'd like to compare so I can improve on it.

russell660@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Cheers.

Russ

4. Geordie I would like a copy to if you don't mind
    please send to annhaugh@tiscali.co.uk thanks i am about to start one and all help would be great

5. Right I don't normally write on these forums but I have to agree with the good advice you have been given by others (one who is an actual HT!!). Write YOUR own personal statement. The best thing to do is write it using the abundant advice already given THEN give it to someone who knows what they are doing to read through and give you suggestions.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Post 68: they clearly think I'm making it up.

Hey, you lot - I'm not, you know. Nor is Theogriff, another headteacher who ALSO puts applications with evidence of plagiarism in the bin.

7. Thanks to all those people (onanyanker, chrysalid, theogriff and welshman) for taking the time to write such invaluable advice about personal statements. Its been a great help, especially how to word the statement in a concise way and including an executive statement.

I am in the middle of writing a personal statement(where they have asked for a maximum of 1 page and a CV which is no longer than 2).
    I have done a lot of teaching work over the years-how do i fit all of these jobs onto a 2 page CV? Do i concentrate on the jobs that i've been in the longest and scrap the others? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

8. Hi Geordie
    Can you email me a copy of personal statement too.
    Have spent hours on updating mine but never happy!!!
    Thanks
    Sue

9. haj

haj

Ive written lots of letters of application, but not written a supporting statement for ages, Ive checked theogriff's thread and checked the first threads on here but can't find answer even though looked through lots of pages

my question is basically should I start Statement of with a heading of Statement in support of application of XXXXXXXX or should I simply go into it---ie can the first paragraph be just like that of a letter of application??

many thanks

10. Why would anyone share their personal statement? You'ld have to be down right daft! If 2 or more statements turned up looking even vaguely familiar they'd all be binned.

Yes its hard to write, yes it takes hours, yes it will require several redrafts, and no you style will fit every school.

The idea is that your statement sells you to a school, try writing it, then move your paragraphs around into a more logical order and finally get 2/3 people who know you to go over it and add to it to sell you further.

11. In answer to post 72, I've always laid mine out as a letter (if seperate), with My address, School adress, Date, Reference, Dear.....

Then the first paragraph starts with My name is x and I wish to be considered for the post of x. In reference to your advertisment on/in x I enclose this, my letter of application along with a completed application form.

12. haj

haj

welshman423214 THANKS FOR YOUR HELP- CAN FINALLY PRINT OFF AND POST OFF SOME APPLICATIONS

( sorry about caplocks)

:)

13. I am stucked with the problem of writing my supporting statement, I just don't know if I am doing the rith thing. I have already sent out so many applications without geting replies. I wonder if anyone could help.

lmansa@hotmail.com

14. I am stucked with the problem of writing my supporting statement, I just don't know if I am doing the right thing. I have already sent out so many applications without geting replies. I wonder if anyone could help.

lmansa@hotmail.com

15. I too would love a copy of your personal statement you are very good to share .
    janebryce@gmail.com

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

Question: what do you understand by the word "personal"?????????????

17. Maybe I should set up a sideline in writing personal statements, £15 and I'll look over your statement and re-write it for you.

If you can't write one using all the support, advice and guidance offered in this thread then I really worry as to whether you'ld actually be able to plan and deliver a lesson without someone holding your hand.

As teachers we are supposed to encourage independant learning and thinking skills, the same skills that are required in order to write a letter of application/supporting statement.

Personal: relating to, or belonging to a single person