1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on writing a personal/ supporting statement??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dottysbird, Mar 20, 2005.

1. (Haha!)

I've just about finished writing my supporting statement but just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

In terms of examples, should there be lots of specific examples e.g. of how I organised and taught within the classroom (positioning of tables?!)or just a few? I'm worried that I'm not being specific enough :s

Also, our tutors had advised us to not include information about part time jobs that are not directly relevant to teaching, especially jobs like 'Shop Assistant'..but at the end of the school's application form in addition to a relevant experience section there's a 'previous employment/career history' section with a salary point box. As an NQT, should I be filling this with all of the bumph of my past or not?

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Rachel x

2. I'm really struggling to write a supporting statement. I would be really greatful if I could read a few examples.

Please send copies to sellingworth23@yahoo.co.uk

cheers

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

4. If you've spent years of time and lots effort and money on getting QTS, I think an proportional amount of thought and effort needs to be put into applications etc.
    There is lots of good advice on this thread, there are lots of books (from libraries if necessary) and most uni's offer graduate support facilities.
    Some unions (ATL for one on Saturdays) offer courses for job seekers that covers these areas.
    There are regular threads at senior level asking for copies of other applicant's letters etc. There are no easy fixes - not getting shortlisted doesn't mean that the covering letter, CV, application form was faulty - there can be large numbers of applicants.
    Most staff must know someone in their school who knows them well and can give advice - if not get onto a course as above - after all teachers have lots of holiday when they can do a one/two day course or after school session.
    Why not get union to arange a branch session with a suitable trainer.

5. ilovesooty

I suspect that some will continue to take the idle way out and ask for copies of others' statements.

Threp offers good advice: be proactive!

6. I agree with ILS. I notice two people have said they would be "greatful" for copies of other people's statements. Maybe their spelling has let them down in the one they are using.

7. I have to admit that I struggled a bit with my personal statement, but I now have a good one that is easily adaptable to different schools. I would never use someone elses statement to help write my own as I feel that it wouldn't then use the vocabulary that I would use normally.

Start by saying who you are and the job that you are applying for.

The next paragraph should have why you are a great teacher, enthusiastic, diligent, highly motivated, excellent classroom management etc.

The next few should then talk about your teaching experiences, giving examples of what you have done, remember to throw in some extra curricular activities.

Mention the levels and exam boards that you have taught, e.g. KS4 Edexcel DIDA course, KS4 WJEC GCSE Full and Short Courses, talk about any moderation work done.

Finally have a summing up paragraph that the person reading the statement will remember you for. Also mention the excellent/good reputation that x school has and USE THE SCHOOL NAME AT LEAST ONCE.

8. Geordiegeographer - Please will you send me a copy of your supporting letter. I am applying for a job at a school I would love to work at and I just want the job! Any examples of supporting letters and interview tips would be gratefully received.

My email address is raziaattwal@aol.com

9. ilovesooty

Just no advising some people...

10. Asking for examples does not not mean that they will be copied. That would be idle and obviously not personal. There is no harm in asking to see a few examples to help people write their own.

11. Hi geordie,

can you please send me a copy of your supporting statement if you don't mind. Here's my email address thanks. tkhanom7@yahoo.com

12. This might be me having my head in the clouds but what is an executive summary? I have never done one before should you do them when applying for NQT jobs? even when they are not asked for - isn't is just giving them more things to read on top of the supporting statement?

13. OK, two points here.

1) An executive summary is a one-page max summary, in table format, specific to that job, that shows how you match exactly their requirements so they can see that you meet their criteria for being shortlisted. Rather than being an extra piece to read, it is the essential page for the lazy shortlister (there are some!). Do a search on TheoGriff for more details in his threads on applications.

2) Looking at someone else's statement or application is pretty stupid. LEAs are writing to schools to warn them that people are copying and borrowing, and advising them to exclude any candidates where this seems so. You never know who else has seen the same statement as you, and there may be two of you applying for the same job. On the Management Forum there are examples of where Heads have had applications with identical sentences or paragraphs, and they just bin them both.

14. Hi

I am trying to amend my supporting statement. I have been teaching for the past 2 years now.

Is it possible to get a sample of a supporting statement that is not for NQTs.

Thanks

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

From this headteacher: which part of post 53 do you lot not understand?

Write your own!

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Post 59: spot on there, welshman!