1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on writing a personal/ supporting statement??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dottysbird, Mar 20, 2005.

1. onanyanker is right; if you start talking about the whys and wherefores someone is more likely to judge you. In my experience I found that being factual meant that I got interviews, whereas when I used phrases like "I feel" or "I think" I didn't hear from the schools I was applying to. my advice would be to tell them what you have done and what qualities you can offer.

eg., "I have organised a variety of primary liaison activities."
    "I am enegetic, hard-working and committed."

2. Goerdiegeographer, could I please have a copy of your supporting letter, I need something to start me off! Thank you!
    stacyleighuk@aol.com

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I do staff training on this, as I see so many really good teachers just not doing themselves justice.

THE LETTER/SUPPORTING STATEMENT
    * Carry out the instructions
    * No more than 2 pages = 1½ - 2 pages, not just 1 para
    * Handwritten if they ask, but typed if not
    * Address specifically any issues they ask you to, don?t just ignore them

Wring value out of every sentence you put in; every sentence should earn its keep, no blurb or padding.
    ? Tell them why they need you, not why you need them
    ? Make it specific to their job description
    ? Make it as structured as a good student essay
    ? Make it easy to read

TYPICAL OPENING:
    ?I wish to be considered for this position and enclose?. I am attracted to this post as a development of my role as?? in which I have direct responsibility for ? I have been concerned especially with??
    I now feel ready to extend this experience of ?.. and ?.. into another School. School XXX is of particular interest to me because of its ???? Show that it's not just any old school you want to be teaching in, but specifically theirs.

INTERNAL STRUCTURE OF LETTER
    3 or 4 main sections:

? Current and recent experience
    ? Other achievements relevant to your post
    ? The priorities of your post
    ? The future of XXX School

CURRENT AND RECENT EXPERIENCE: Say what you are doing, but in structured fashion: curriculum role, pastoral role, managerial role, extra-curricular, contact with parents/ other schools, experience of budgeting, strategic planning, etc.

OTHER ACHIEVEMENTS RELEVANT TO YOUR POST:
    Responsibilities/ contributions in previous posts; any outside activities; any specific training done

THE PRIORITIES OF YOUR POST:
    What you think the post is about, based on the clues that they give you. What do they need you to do? How would you fulfil this? This is your chance to show them that they need you

THE FUTURE OF XXX SCHOOL
    This is very important for management level posts, showing that you have an understanding of the type of School that it is, the context that it is working in, and how you could contribute to its development. Show you have vision! For teaching posts in general, show how your contribution would help improve learning and raise standards - key issues for any school.

Make it snappy not wordy so that you can get it in 2 sides normal size font. Give specific examples rather than a lot of blurb: "I am a fast-moving committed professional with a desire for ...". And above all: talk about pupils soon and often.

Now how about including an Executive Statement as well? A what?

? Remember your first aim is to get shortlisted, so make it easy for them to select you
    ? A one-page ONLY summary of why they should appoint you, because you meet all their criteria
    ? Will also concentrate your mind in writing a good application letter by reminding you of all your strengths, so do it first
    ? Based on: Person Specification, Job Purpose
    ? Show both their requirements and how you match up to them
    ? Do it in table form with 2 columns, showing their requirements (Good Hons Degree) and how you comply: (BSc II(a) Bio London)

Here is an example - it is for a leadership post, but will give you the idea. I cannot fit in a table here, so have tried to give an example of how you take key elements from job/person spec and then answer them:

Your requirements: Leadership
    My experience: Led successful team introducing Curriculum 2000 for 230 sixth formers; Led team that was awarded top Ofsted Inspection at current school

Your requirements: Drive for Improvement.
    My experience: GCSE A*-C risen from 55% to 89%

Your requirements: Cognitive ability.
    My experience: High scores in Verbal Reasoning and Numeracy tests

Your requirements: Planning and thinking ahead My experience: Manage operational and strategic planning cycles

Two things to remember, I reckon: firstly, if they get lots of applications, you want to make it easy for them to shortlist you. Secondly: if you're good, this will really show through with this system, so you will stand out. Best of luck out there to you all! TG

4. Im a NQT struggling to write my supporting statement, if anyone could give me any tips or email me a copy of any statements I would really appreciate it! My email address is stac3y83@hotmail.co.uk

5. I desperately need help with altering my initial supporting letter - from 6 years ago!!!
    Any help/advice/examples would be great.
    Please e-mail - Hels99@hotmail.com

6. If anyone could send me an example it would help immensely!!!! I dont no how to word it!!
    helen_benbow@msn.com

7. hi i am finding difficulty in writing my personal statement i would really appreciate it if someone could email me a copy to guide me or provide advice on how to word it. my email address is llmoorug03@student.ucsm.ac.uk

8. i will qualify as a teacher in june and am trying to start my personal statement, can anyone give me any advice or share their experience of how to write one that would be great, thanks.

9. Hi I am applying for my second job and I want some ideas on how to write a supporting statement. Can anyone help?

10. Hi all, I am in my third year at the school I started in as an NQT - really struggling with updating my personal statement/covering letter as my old one is all about uni! If anyone has one that they wouldn't mind emailing me it would be much appreciated! Thanks
    tatz33@hotmail.com

11. hello, sorry im on here too- not to offer advise but to ask for help.

I have only worked in one school and my NQT statement of support seems very basic and a lot of the information is unnecessary

if anyone has a good statement of support that i could look at I would be most greatful. i just cant seem to word anything properly.

thank you
    kathlydon@hotmail.com

12. Hi,
    I am just about qualified and looking for my first teaching post. I have been reading the thread and wondered if anyone could sent me a copy of their Personal Statement as I am really struggling with the wording and phrasing etc.

Thanks in anticipation
    Lisawaters@hotmail.co.uk

13. Hello!
    I have newly joined to the TES and I have just come across this topic discussion. I have just started writing my very first personal statement to send off with my very first applications for teaching posts. However, I am struggling with what to put in the context of the statement. Can anyone provide me with any help and advice?
    Thank you!!
    sazzle_keen@hotmail.com

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

TheoGriff has taken the time to give you advice on here. He's given detailed guidance, which should get you started.

It should be YOUR statement, not someone else's, and I really feel that if you can't manage it without reading other people's, perhaps the job might be beyond some of you too.

And beware of offering your personal statement. I believe some schools are getting some which are very similar to each other: they get binned.

15. too right ilovesooty - people should stop this statement sharing - it's called a personal statement for a good reason. no offense to anyone who's posted asking, I know only too well how long it takes to get it just right, but that's just a process you have to persevere with. I know others have said this but since all teachers are graduates, surely writing a statement can't be that hard. How did you manage your dissertation at uni??

16. Hi I am starting to write my personal statement for some jobs I want to apply for. What I wrote sounds rubbish so i'm looking for some examples to help. If anyone has any please email me on sally_louise18@hohtmail.com

Thank you

17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I despair.

18. ard

ard

Me too, Ilovesooty.
    For those asking for a copy - follow the advice given and why not get a colleague to read through it and give you some objectionable advice?
    But please, write your own - you are graduates, aren't you?