1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on writing a personal/ supporting statement??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dottysbird, Mar 20, 2005.

1. I am attempting to write my supporting statement for my first job application and i really don't know where to start!! I've looked at the info in the NUT and NASUWT guides for applying for your first teaching post but there isn't much guidance on how to set it out, other than you should use sub headings!

I really need to "prove" myself in this statement as I've just finished my final teaching placement at this school, plus i've done a couple of days supply, and i don't want to make myself look stupid with a rubbsih supporting statement!!!

Any tips, ideas for sub headings or sample statements would be greatly appreciated!!!

:0)

Lex

2. I am attempting to write my supporting statement for my first job application and i really don't know where to start!! I've looked at the info in the NUT and NASUWT guides for applying for your first teaching post but there isn't much guidance on how to set it out, other than you should use sub headings!

I really need to "prove" myself in this statement as I've just finished my final teaching placement at this school, plus i've done a couple of days supply, and i don't want to make myself look stupid with a rubbsih supporting statement!!!

Any tips, ideas for sub headings or sample statements would be greatly appreciated!!!

Lex

3. I never used subheadings...
    Start by saying why you want the job. I am applying for this post because...
    Go on to outline your experiences. Make sure that for every statement on the person spec you have written a supporting statement.
    Try to come across as confident. Don't be apologetic, and don't be afraid to sell yourself.

I'm an NQT, so I'm no expert on this matter, but I do understand how frustrating it can be. I have just finished writing my personal statement for my applications for next year. Only sent one off so far, but have been invited to interview so it can't be too bad!

4. I've written a couple of supporting statements. I'll email you one if you want - but they are not for first jobs - they are for my second after teaching for three years.

If you want a copy post your email.

5. Hi, thankyou both for your help!

After writing the first paragraph at 8pm last night, the rest just seemed to flow!

I am currently making adjustments to my third draft but i am pretty pleased with the result! I've had a couple of teachers read it through and i am taking on board the suggestions that were made (mainly about giving specific examples as i hadn't done this on a couple of points).

It's just a case of sending it out and seeing how it goes!!!

6. alf

alf

Would be most grateful for any advice or copy of supporting statement-for a friend-really!
    alison-allen@lineone.net

7. Hi geordiegeographer, would you mind sending me a copy of your supporting statement too. I've been trying to put one together all day and my mind is just blank! Thank you,

8. if someone wouldn't mind sending me an example of their supporting statement i would be eternally grateful. I'm in the process of writing mine, and any help would be much appreciated. My email address is saramfhakeem@hotmail.com.

thanks

9. Can anyone please help me with writing a personal/supporting statement. I'm driving myself mad trying to write one. Any help would be gratefully received.

10. Geordie
    Would you please send me a copy of your statement? I will be grateful to you.My e-mail add is-
    jobspace2000@yahoo.co.uk

11. it is obviously that time of year. Everyone is trying to show themself in the best light, make themselves sound fabulous but not 2 sure about where to start. I feel like i'm in the same boat so i wouldn't mind a copy as well.
    Avboogieno1@hotmail.com All help gratefully received.

:)ta

12. I am trying to write my personal statement for a private school, any help would be really appreciated! My email address is pjmanc@yahoo.com

13. I am having a nightmare too! I have been living in an area that has had so little in the way of jobs, I haven't had the chance to write many statements. I am now looking in London and the list is endless!!! First I suppose I need to limit the number of applications I send off, then I need to do a really good application. One of them I found a nightmare to fit all my G.C.S.E qualifications in. Do other people write each individual subject?
    I would really appreciate a copy of other peoples to give me an idea - thank you!!!!!!!!!
    e.mail - missvjt@fsmail.net

14. GeordieGeographer - I'm interested in a copy of your supporting letter if you don't mind. I want to apply for another job after 4 years of teaching.
    email is Phil25@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks

15. I'm having a nightmare too and would really appreciate any advice. My email is daisyone@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

16. bugsbunny

bugsbunny New commenter

GeordieGeographer - is it too late to ask for a copy of your supporting statement? I'm applying for my first job since being an NQT and I'm totally stuck about what to write. I'd love a copy - very pretty please!!
    lmcdpp@yahoo.com

17. in 1 of my previous lives, i did a fair bit of work looking at cv / application letter technique, there is a sort of standard practise which is expected.

start with a little bit about you applying to that school for that job. then talk about your most recent experience, either as a student teacher or as a teacher in your current school. then work back chronologically. when youve covered professional elements, spend a short time talking about your other interests. finally ending up with a little thank you type closing and a "i would be a benefit because..." type of thing too.

the key is to make things relevant to the job, if its a management role then talk about how you did x which saw you in charge of so many staff. dont just list and dont be negative about any aspects.

i did see an application letter recently which mentioned how they wanted to teach because their teachers at school ignored them and they want to redress the balance or something - needless to say she didnt get the job.

be positive, honest and relate everything to the criteria in the job specification, you will be amazed at how much you have done if you take the time to think about it.

and for all of you who are blindly askingfor someone elses application letter, dont get me started on that again...

18. I am currently sat writing supporting statement - should be in garden with the sunshine. this is the first time I have joined the chat room - thanks all for sound advice.

19. a copy of your personal statement would help me so much- just so I know whether I'm doing the right/ wrong thing...thank u!!
    gazbegum@yahoo.com