1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on working in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by purplejaffacakecat88, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm currently studying a PGDE (Primary) at Aberdeen University, and have started to think about what's going to happen after my probation year as job prospects are not very promising!

I've began thinking about moving to Australia for 1/2 years to teach but don't know where to start in terms of finding out what processes you need to go through etc.

It would be great if anyone who has any experience working/teaching in Australia could give me some hints/tips for making the move.

Thanks.

2. Hi,

I'm currently studying a PGDE (Primary) at Aberdeen University, and have started to think about what's going to happen after my probation year as job prospects are not very promising!

I've began thinking about moving to Australia for 1/2 years to teach but don't know where to start in terms of finding out what processes you need to go through etc.

It would be great if anyone who has any experience working/teaching in Australia could give me some hints/tips for making the move.

Thanks.

3. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

You need to look at the FAQs for this, and refine your enquiry.

I'm not fobbing you off, but this qestion has been asked mnay times, and the TES wbsite has a lot to offer.

Try immi for up to date info about getting to Oz.

4. Work out what you have to do in relation to immigration (go to the imm. Get the visa underway.
    Choose a state or 2, you are interested in. Then contact their teacher registration boards get your registration. Apply state education department in their teacher recruitment rounds. Search the state newspapers for work in independant and catholic schools. In the large states ie not Tasmania, Victoria and ACT be prepared to teach in remote and rural, jobs this will give you the best chance of getting work. Only do this is you would be happy to work in the Shetlands or Orkneys.

5. Thanks for all the excellent advice!

I won't be properly looking into it until next year but I'm going to start having a gander, problem is now my partner also wants to come, luckily the trade he's trained in is wanted in Australia.

Hoping this doesn't turn out to be yet another pipe-dream!

x