1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on which teaching union to join

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by MrGT, May 29, 2012.

1. Hello

I am starting my first full time teaching post in September following a period of supply.

I have heard of the NUT but I was wondering if there are other options and which trade union people think would offer the best deal for an NQT

Thanks

2. Hello

I am starting my first full time teaching post in September following a period of supply.

I have heard of the NUT but I was wondering if there are other options and which trade union people think would offer the best deal for an NQT

Thanks

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Many of them offer free membership for NQTs.
    The main ones in English schools are:
    NUT: www.teachers.org.uk
    ATL: www.atl.org.uk
    NASUWT: www.nasuwt.org.uk
    Voice: www.voicetheunion.org.uk
    Take a look at their websites for deals, and ask at your new school about which unions (if any) have Reps.

4. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Most teachers' principal reason for joining a union is for their legal support. I spend much of my time now supporting teachers in need of such support. Although I have encountered members of NUT, NASUWT, ASCL and NAHT who feel they have had poor legal support from their unions, the overwhelming majority of complaints about poor support has been from members of the NUT.

5. NUT and NASUWT are horrible lefty militant unions, Voice is non-striking (a good choice for professional, non-militant teachers) and ATL something in-between. All will give you good legal support should you need it. ATL served me well for a long time, but let me down by supporting strikes last time. But it was helpful to me when I needed advice. Am now in no teaching union at all.

6. coppull

coppull New commenter

Please note you cannot just join Union when you have serious problems. All them will not take on existing casework.. If you are NQT it is best to sign up and you can have FREE MEMBERSHIP in your first year of teaching. Check out the web sites to see what is on offer.