1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on when I can start a new job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sbevan3, Jun 20, 2018.

1. sbevan3

sbevan3 New commenter

Hi and thank you to anyone who is taking the time to read this.

I have been teaching for four years and for many reasons have decided to take a break from teaching and explore other prospects.

I handed in my resignation in May so that my contract will finish at the end of August.

Am I able to start a new job in the 'in-between period'- the end of term being in July and my contract extending until the end of August?

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

If you are still under contract you are still being paid so no.

3. dts

dts Occasional commenter

50sman is technically correct, but it may be that your current school doesn't object - you will need to check with HR first.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

How would your school know? And what could it do about it should it find out?

Better legal minds than mind will probably have the correct answer but I see it as no different to putting in a few hours tutoring or marking exams. As long as you pay the correct taxes and don't affect the day job.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I have always misunderstood this, apparently, in thinking that while your contract might run to Aug31st, your last day of service is the last day of term and the rest is payment for holidays not yet taken.

Given that that is not the case, would it be ilegal then to take holiday work during the summer break?

And what about if you move from England to Scotland (or overseas) where the school term starts in August?

6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

It would depend on your school, some may claim that you are employed until August 31st so therefore you cannot start any new job as your old school may require you to work a couple of days to hand over to your successor.
    Personally, as a HT, as long I don’t require the services of the departing employee, I wouldn’t mind at all if they started their new role early, it’s up to them and generally, once school breaks up, teachers are generally not required unless it’s a meeting or prep for September.
    I do extend an invite for all teaching colleagues who taught A Level and GCSE classes to attend results day and provide a lunch for all colleagues, however, I do not make this mandatory for all colleagues. I only generally expect the SLT to be in attendance along with a departmental representative (usually the HoD).

hammie and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Unless your contract stipulates that you may not work for another employer while you are employed at the school, you can overlap the jobs, provided you can meet the contractual requirements of each. HMRC have no problem with it; you'll need to fill in a form to say that the new job is your second job, and they'll tax it at basic rate, but then once your P45 comes through the new job will become your first job.

Piranha likes this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There is absolutely no rule that says you cannot be paid for two jobs at the same time, and I have no idea why some people think there is. The only relevant thing would be if there were a clause in your contract, either forbidding it or stipulating that a second job would need school approval. I once had that in a pre-teaching job, but never in teaching. As @frustum points out, you will be taxed at basic rate (or higher if your two salaries combined make it appear that you will reach the higher tax band) until they know your teaching job has ended. It is likely that you will pay too much tax for a while, but that gets sorted out in the end - sooner if you tell them as soon as your teaching job ends.

I suppose this might be true for somebody on a non-standard contract, but if you are under STPCD, you will have done your 195 directed days and cannot be told to do more. I am surprised that a Head thinks they can 'require' a teacher to return after the end of the summer term, or does your school not follow STPCD, @jago123?