1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on volunteering abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by petesewell, Jun 26, 2018.

1. petesewell

petesewell New commenter

Hi
    I am a well experienced science teacher and am looking to do some volunteering abroad. There seems to be a plethora of stuff out there but I have heard so many stories of expensive gap year style experiences which have no benefit for the community you are hoping to serve that I wondered if anyone has any positive experience or knows of reputable work which I can support.
    Thanks
    Pete Sewell

2. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Hi,

There is a lot of the voluntourism type stuff but there are some amazing grass roots organisations as well. Most of the ones I know of tend to be connected with my church communities. I know that Love the One in India always loves teachers to go out, both to teach science and to train their teachers. Here in Thailand, there are many schools along the Thai-Burmese border that educate displaced Karen students. I volunteer at one in my school holidays. I nearly went up to do a year's placement up there but another job fell into my lap. At schools like that, they are unable to pay a salary but do provide your accommodation and full board for the duration.

I would also bear in mind visa costs etc. There is a special visa and work permit you are supposed to have for volunteer work in Thailand. I don't think it is enforced, but it is certainly a cost to factor in.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Try the VSO. A colleague of mine worked for them for 10 years before when came to our international school.

tjh102 likes this.
  4. petesewell

petesewell New commenter

5. petesewell

petesewell New commenter

Hi
    This is really helpful
    I am happy to follow up connections through Church based activities. I will look at the organisation in India. If you have any more details you could pass on that would be very helpful. Likewise with the Thai schools you mentioned. How would I contact them?I am not sure how to exchange more detailed information through TES website such as email addreses.

6. petesewell

petesewell New commenter

Thank-you for this. A helpful reply

7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Christians Abroad is worth a look.

8. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Hi.

I have sent a conversation. If you click on the little head in the top right corner, it will show a link called conversations with a little yellow number by it. Click on the link and it is a private message system here.

I wish you all the best in finding something suitable. I think VSO is good advice. I would just say that it is important to check overhead costs. Also, how remote are you happy to be? Some places don't like sending volunteers alone and want pairs.

9. Machito

Machito New commenter

Workaway. Loads of opportunities so you can restrict yourself to those that meet your criteria. Educational opportunities are in the minority but there are plenty of them. The only admin cost for you is a year's membership (around 30 GBP I think) and for the hosts it's free to use.