1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice on union membership

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by jubilee, Apr 28, 2012.

  1. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Whilst £1 and free deals are available for those int heir first post training year, you could join several Unions, receive their publications nad decide which you want to stay with when annual renewal comes around.
    Once you are paying the usual subscription, make sure to notify your tax office as some, or all, of Union subs are eligible for tax relief (under Professional Subscriptions on Inland revenue documentation).
    two thirds of NUT subs are eligible.
    Nine tenths of ATL subs are eligible.
    You would need to ask other Unions (some are 100% eligible) as I've only ever been with the two mentioned.
    The difference in amounts eligible is based on the way they are set up.
    Tax relief means that you save paying tax at your highest rate (20% for most teachers) on the eligible amount.
    The Inland revenue increase your tax code and that reduces the tax deducted.
    For those who have been teaching already and not claiming the allowance, you can go back 6 years and get a tax rebate.
    Remember to update the tax office each time you renew so that they have the correct figure going forward.
  2. teo


    As long as you are in a union it doesn't really matter which one, in terms of legal protection. I generally recommend my mentees find out which is the majority union in their school and go with that, but if money is an issue there's no reason not to go with the cheapest and then shop around. I suppose it depends on how strongly you feel about a particular union's stance on issues in education and strike action.

Share This Page