1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice on time management needed please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alsoamum, Nov 12, 2011.

1. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

hi all
    I have been teaching for 10 years, but for the last 7 years have been part time so have had days off during the week obviously.
    I am soon returing to teaching full time in a new year group and would really welcome any tips about getting the important jobs done, but also having a worklife balance with time to spend with my family?
    Anyone else with young children who managed working full time? And how do you do it and stay sane at the same time?

2. alsoamum

hi all
    I have been teaching for 10 years, but for the last 7 years have been part time so have had days off during the week obviously.
    I am soon returing to teaching full time in a new year group and would really welcome any tips about getting the important jobs done, but also having a worklife balance with time to spend with my family?
    Anyone else with young children who managed working full time? And how do you do it and stay sane at the same time?

3. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Leaving school on time is very important, meeting tend to go over the allocated time a lot but i always leave on time, whether it is finished or not - i stated this early on and have always stuck to it - nobody seems to mind and in fact one member of staff said she was glad i did because the meetings always finished very shortly after that if not there and then.
    I also do not do any school work until my daughter is in bed, the afternoons/evenings are my time with her and there is plenty of time to do work after that if needed.
    i spend 3-6 hours on a sunday doing work, no other time over the weekend - it is family time.
    once i set these targets i stuck to them, i have had to go to the head once to ask for additional time out of class to work on something for my subject management and she accepted straight away.
    however, i am lucky to be a very organised person, yes there are a few things that i haven't done yet but i prioritised and will get to them in due time

4. I went back full time this September and I think it's going really well but I've always been very organised and kept on top of marking and planning. There are a few things I've done to make life easier though.
    The first thing I did was get a cleaner - I can't waste a whole day on the weekend cleaning! The washing is bad enough but I'm trying to keep on top of it during the week. I'm not keen on the idea of someone else doing the ironing but some of my friends use ironing services. I just think I'd spend so long sorting it all out and putting it away that I may as well do it myself!
    I've also sorted out some great childcare which works well for us as a family. I've got a very lovely friend who takes the children home and gives them tea on staff meeting days. This has been a godsend as our meetings are getting longer and longer so I really appreciate not having to cook for the kids on those days. I also have a childminder for two other days each week and I cook when I've collected the children at 5.30. That leaves two days when I don't have childcare but my children go to my school so it's not too much of a problem to get them home early. One of the days when I try to get away at hometime is PPA so I always leave early and the other is a Friday and again, we aim to be home by 3.45. My children are pretty good and I can leave them colouring outside the classroom if I really need to catch a parent or speak to a colleague but that has only happened a couple of times anyway. My husband can also be quite flexible - I regularly remind him how lucky he is to have me off every holiday and that he doesn't need to take his holiday just to look after the children! He can sometimes drop off and collect for me. Otherwise, my two come in with me and they're happy to draw or colour in my room while I get myself sorted out.
    I try to plan meals for the week ahead and then shop online so I don't have to do a massive shop on the weekend. We have a couple of small supermarkets for bread, milk etc nearby but I try to avoid big supermarkets as it takes up half the day! I also bulk cook on the weekends if I'm in the mood, just spag bol, chilli and casseroles but it's nice to just reheat them in the evenings. I've also bought some mince and sausages I can cook from frozen so I've always got stuff to cook if I forget to defrost anything!
    As for work, I don't bring much home at all. I mark as much as I can with the children and tend to work through playtime and half of lunchtime. I aim to mark every lesson immediately and even collect the books up open so I have to mark them just to put them away. I plan in PPA time but also make use of any extra time such as assembly or singing practice to do anything else. I've sorted my timetable so that the heavy marking falls on the days I have childcare and then I've arranged art/PE/ICT on the days when I want to leave early. This weekend I need to plan next week's Numeracy and sort out my timetable but everything else is pretty much planned. It won't take me long and we're off to the park and then to McDonald's later.
    Hope this gives you some ideas - I am loving being full time and the children seem more than happy with the set up. Fingers crossed it stays that way! x

5. alsoamum

thank you both for your advice, you both said pretty much what I wanted to hear.

I am happy to work through my lunch and break and maybe do the equivalent of an hour a night at home. I am really hoping that it wont be too much worse than my 3 days a week at the moment as my subject responsibilities wont be any more and I'll get more PPA time being full time. At the moment most of my PPA time is taken up by talking to my jobsharer rather than actually getting stuff done too.

Also, I am hoping that I can take more advantage of time after school before picking my daughter up (I have childminder who she loves, who will have her full time before and after school breakfast and dinner inc). At the moment, we have staff meeting after school one day and I do a club on another day which only leaves me with one evening a week to get displays etc done. As of January I have arranged my club to be at lunchtime so will have 4 night after school to get stuff done.