1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Thailand please...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by giggler32, Jan 1, 2018.

1. giggler32

giggler32 New commenter

Hi all and a Happy New Year

I'm looking for any advice really, from those who have or do teach in Thailand. I have been doing some 'research' and haven't really come across any negative posts - not that I'm looking for any, I just want the full picture! I'm supply teaching back in the UK at the moment, but this will be my second international post after teaching in Southern Europe.

There appear to be a number of jobs for August advertised on TES already, so seems like I have to be quick to apply, but there are some things that I am unsure of. For instance, what would be considered a good package for Thailand? How difficult is it to get a visa, and will the school help you with this? Also, what exactly does the medical involve for the work permit, as I have read some very different things on this!

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

2. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I was in Thailand a few years ago, at a fun but 'third tier' school. I loved it! In terms of the package, I earned 100,000 Thai Baht a month, including housing allowance, but that was a few years ago and not a great school so you should expect more. We did also get shipping (1000pounds), annual flights and worldwide medical care though, which added up. We also got a re-signing bonus of a months salary.

Your school should sort your visa for you, don't go anywhere which won't. I had to visit the consulate in the UK in person, with lots of paper work provided by my school, but after that they did everything. This was important as if they don't, you have to go to immigration once every three months, and queue for about a day... very boring and time consuming.
    The medical was standard: heart rate, blood pressure, eyes and hearing, reflexes and lots of family history questions. Again, the school organised it and we went all together during in diction week. I never had a blood test, but I've heard of others that did, so maybe different schools ask or maybe it's a newer rule.
    Pm me if you have questions about individual schools, and enjoy, Thailand is great!

giggler32 likes this.
  3. giggler32

giggler32 New commenter

Thanks for the advice lottee1000, all helpful info.

I'm hoping the medical doesn't involve a blood test, only I'm petrified of needles!!! But I have read posts and blogs on this, and there seems to be lots of diffefent experiences. Some going in and coming back out in 15 minutes having been asked a few questions, and others who were sent to various different rooms for different tests at a hospital, including taking blood! But I guess it depends where in the country you are and which hospital you go to!

I will pm you shortly!

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Im pretty sure you will need a HIV and possibly TB tests....you will have to have blood tests done. Thats what i needed for Laos

5. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

My Thai medical involves BP and blood test. Pretty sure these two are standard. I have to do it every year, it's not a one off. The whole thing takes about 5 minutes.

6. schmedz

schmedz New commenter

giggler - if you're able to consider working abroad, a blood test is nothing to be concerned about! You will need one for your medical (I haven't had an annual one though).
    Bangkok is a great city and there are other nice parts of the country in which to work also (Phuket springs to mind...)
    If you get an offer, feel free to PM me the salary/benefits details and I'll give you my opinion on them then. There is no 'standard' package - every school is individual.
    Good luck - it's a great place to work and live!

7. giggler32

giggler32 New commenter

Thank you everyone, hoping if I have to it'll be a one off test!! I have heard of people having some great experiences, so I'm not put off! Thanks schmedz, I will pm you if I'm lucky enough to be successful this year!

schmedz likes this.
  8. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I'm after some information about the British school by the River in Bangkok, if anyone on here works there or knows much s about it?

9. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

I'm also interested in the same school as willow78... anyone have any info? :)

10. schmedz

schmedz New commenter

Willow and Morena I have sent you a PM

11. HappyTeacher2017

HappyTeacher2017 New commenter

The medical, as with most things in the visa world in Thailand, is so dependent on many things. Over here there may appear to be a lot of rules, but whether they need to be followed.... it's a strange concept. Ultimately, 10 teachers could turn up with 10 different medical reports of different quality/thoroughness, and it would depend on the mood of the officer that day as to which was acceptable.

To be super official, yes you need your blood tested for syphillis and for blood type (as well as the doctor writing 5 official statements).
    Yes, you will hear a million teachers say "but i didn't need to get that".
    But just in case you get turned away on the day, i always think it's safer to get the full requirements.