1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice on teaching interview needed!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by socks101273, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hi Everyone, Iv an interview coming up and wondered if anybody has any ideas at all?
    "you will be required to prepare and deliver a 20 min lesson to a year 3 mixed ability class of approx 30 pupils which will "guide and stimulate pupils to extend the use of vocabulary in preparation for a writing activity" a flipchart and promethean interactive whiteboard will be available"
    It doesnt state the genre of the writing so Im presuming I can be very flexible with it. Obviously there needs to be speaking and listening activities, maybe whiteboards for the children to use. The school has a lot of children with EAL so would also need to think about visual aids ect.
    Has anybody got any good starting points where I can go with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the lesson is only 20 mins so would the children be doing the actual writing activity? Im a bit confused!!!!!

2. Hi Everyone, Iv an interview coming up and wondered if anybody has any ideas at all?
    "you will be required to prepare and deliver a 20 min lesson to a year 3 mixed ability class of approx 30 pupils which will "guide and stimulate pupils to extend the use of vocabulary in preparation for a writing activity" a flipchart and promethean interactive whiteboard will be available"
    It doesnt state the genre of the writing so Im presuming I can be very flexible with it. Obviously there needs to be speaking and listening activities, maybe whiteboards for the children to use. The school has a lot of children with EAL so would also need to think about visual aids ect.
    Has anybody got any good starting points where I can go with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, the lesson is only 20 mins so would the children be doing the actual writing activity? Im a bit confused!!!!!

3. My take on this would be that your 20 mins is only in preparation for the subsequent writing session. I hope the guinea pig kids actually get to do the writing afterwards. I see the key words are, "guide", "stimulate" and "extend the use of vocabulary".
    Guide: Where are the pupils now? At their different levels are there existing assessments to suggest where they need to go next? Perhaps it might be the use of adjectives. In your mind what piece of writing might be suitable? A descriptive piece? Not a non-fiction. If a non-fiction, maybe adjectives not so suitable, but connectives? If adjectives I'd suggest some model sentence types which incorporate adjectives eg "2A" .
    Stimulate: See the need for the vocabulary, make it fun and satisfying to write interesting sentences, share ways to access good vocabulary.
    Extend vocabulary: See that plain words should be replaced with more apt words or Wow words. Know a thesaurus could always help. Create a class word list of choices for the piece in question.
    That's my personal brainstorm on the subject. I don't know if it will help, as I've not been through such a show lesson. I'm sure there will be more advice to follow from others.

4. I forgot, differentiated expectations for each group in the writing piece to follow.., and a LO/Key Question/Walt whatever the school does to start the lesson.

5. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

With tha sort of ****..

Its enough to keep you at the same school for life

6. The key phrase is extending the use of vocabulary.
    I once witnessed the use of an exercise to get children to think of words different to those they would usually use. A group of children were told to talk to their partner about what they did at the weekend - but they couldn't use any words with the letter H in them. It was an interesting session and got them to think about how they couldn't use the first word that came into their head.
    I was also lucky enough to have Pie Corbett come to my school and train use in literacy methods. He put a beautiful snowy landscape piccie on the smartboard and got the kids to describe it using similes, and using alliteration. By listing the descriptions it ended up as a kind of poem. The follow on writing activity was giving each child a new picture to describe. It was important, again, that you chose good examples from the children. A suggestion that's not quite right is met with a 'well done johnny, any other suggestions?', and then a subsequent one accepted. No offering is refused. Vocab is extended by listening to others ideas (magpieing) and getting children to think of better words than 'good', 'big', 'small' etc.
    here's some links to pictures I have used in the same fashion.......
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-479533/A-spine-tingling-encounter-Indian-tigers-facing-extinction.html The tiger picture was brill....... describing teeth like samurai swords etc..... wrinkles on the snout......
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotogamie/3616092819/

7. I'm sure my first ideas can be improved, but I am trying to be helpful and learn from this too, I like edenhenry's,but not sure whether I'd do this as a 20 min show lesson or not..
    So, Red Heron,........ what would you suggest?

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I have sent you an inbox message :)

9. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I would def use a visual stimulation on a powerpoint and do a one minute word generation in pairs on whiteboards, then share and record on the flipchart. Once the ball is rolling with a few decent responses give another 30 seconds to improve as 'our first response is never our best response'. Get them to up level their own vocabulary. Id then do some quickfire VCOP if they are a school familiar with Big Writing, which id assume they are from the spec. Then model your focus using shared responses.

10. Thankyou so much everyone, you have all given me lots of really good advice and I can see where its going now!!!!! [​IMG]