1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on teaching in Dubai.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by TravellingTeacher3008, Jan 16, 2016.

1. TravellingTeacher3008

TravellingTeacher3008 New commenter

Hi all!

I'm currently teaching abroad but looking for a new challenge. I'm thinking of Dubai and hoping that some of you can recommend some good schools there that I should apply to? Primary teacher. Thanks in advance!
    D

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

You better get searching quickly as the 'hunting season' is about to kick off!

dubaidel likes this.
  3. TravellingTeacher3008

I know! That's my intention :)

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Sorry - new TES format - how do you PM somebody these days? tried getting to Deirdre's profile to do this - can't see how it is done.

Don't want to name school on this thread :)

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The *** has loads of reviews for Dubai schools. The bad news is that some of them are pretty horrific. Are these reviews reliable? Is the Pope a Catholic? Many schools in Dubai have a high staff turnover. Some of that turnover is because the youngish staff have itchy feet and so they want to move on after a year or two.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I have PM'd a reply

7. aishas23

aishas23 New commenter

Hello! Also looking to relocate to Dubai in the new academic year as a secondary English teacher.
    From what I can tell, the non-for-profit schools are better. Could somebody recommend me any good schools that they know of that I could take a look at? Many thanks in advance!

8. spam66

spam66 New commenter

Hi. It depends what you mean by good. I recently worked at an "Outstanding" NFP school in Dubai. The students, on the whole, were lovely. However, management were awful and workload unsustainable for me, and a number of colleagues. That is another reason why staff turnover might be high. Tread very carefully!

9. TravellingTeacher3008

I don't really care what label the school is given, anybody can put on a show for that! Management and day to day workings of the school are what I'm really asking about, which is why I'd love someone with personal experiences to comment. I would work in a 'satisfactory' school if the management appreciated and valued their staff.

10. TravellingTeacher3008

Can someone please post a link to the ***? Can't get on to it. Thanks.

11. the hippo

Perhaps, Deidre1308, you need to pay your thirty dollars or however much it costs to join the *** these days.

12. TravellingTeacher3008

Thanks for that invaluable advice, the hippo. I was aware that you needed to pay however, I asking for a link to the actual website as I couldn't find it. I have done so now though, so thanks for your help.

13. the hippo

Well, Deidre1308, even if you have signed up for the *** and paid your thirty dollars or whatever it is now, you still have the problem of deciding whether or not the reviews are a pile of manure or whether in fact they are reliable, honest, truthful, factual and up-to-date. The ones I wrote are pretty accurate, I would say, but of course things do change. A dreadful school can get a new, dynamic head and very soon things will improve. On the other hand, the owners of some schools will never relinquish any real power and so it is impossible for some bad schools to improve significantly. That is what I saw happening in Qatar.

14. spam66

spam66 New commenter

Absolutely - these things, however, are hard to gauge until you are actually there!

TravellingTeacher3008 likes this.