1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on teaching in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by P, Aug 26, 2012.

1. P

P

Hello all. I am interested in migrating to Australia and have been doing lots of on line research about it. I am a secondary trained teacher (PGCE route) with a diploma in Middle Leadership. There are still 2 queries that I can't get to the bottom of and thought someone here might be able to help.

Firstly, if I was to stay in Britain, I would be looking at Senior Management roles and was wondering how easy it would it be to do this in Australia. Would it be better to go over as a normal teacher first?

Secondly, I was wondering what the medical insurance is like- my youngest son uses a prosthetic limb which is checked and altered on a regular basis in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated...

2. P

P

Hello all. I am interested in migrating to Australia and have been doing lots of on line research about it. I am a secondary trained teacher (PGCE route) with a diploma in Middle Leadership. There are still 2 queries that I can't get to the bottom of and thought someone here might be able to help.

Firstly, if I was to stay in Britain, I would be looking at Senior Management roles and was wondering how easy it would it be to do this in Australia. Would it be better to go over as a normal teacher first?

Secondly, I was wondering what the medical insurance is like- my youngest son uses a prosthetic limb which is checked and altered on a regular basis in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated...

3. Hi there. In Oz, you have to go through a registration process as a teacher; this entails having your qualifications validated, every single year and course transcript - very slow and tedious! Allow at least 12 weeks to sort this issue; schools (and the state government) won't entertain you without this bureaucratic check. If you are determinned to go to Oz, apply for all suitable positions, senior management opportunities will arise once you are there. Regarding health-care, there is a reciprocal agreement with the UK NHS, you just need to apply for your Medicare card. The health-care is excellent, even without private insurance. You do have top pay a fee for a doc visit, but you get a 50% refund, and you don't pay National Insurance. However, what sort of visa will you be applying for? I am coming from the 457 visa sponsorship viewpoint....

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

What is your subject?
    In regard to health services, I would never rely on the public health system especially if there is an existing issue that needs regular attention. The quality of the care isn't an issue so much as the wait to get that care if you are relying on Medicare.
    I have maintained a private health policy with Teachers' Health ever since I started work. I have to say I haven't used it that much but it did save me $10 000 when having my daughter and various other huge teeth and eyes bills.
    My daughter had her tonsils and turbinates in her nose removed in 2006 and had I not been privately insured, I would have had to take pot luck in choice of doc and probably had to wait six months.
    There are also tax implications if you are not privately insured.I only pay $20 instead of $65 for my regular chiropractic visits and can get my eyes tested and glasses for nothing. Teachers' Health is one of the best health funds around in terms of services and refunds.

5. P

P

Thanks for that. My PGCE subject is languages( French and German), though as my BA(hons) is just German, I think I will only be able to teach German in Oz. I have been coordinating Careers and Personal Well being and am currently on a temporary contract as Senior Link in this area...

6. P

P

Sukina. Haven' t got as far as a visa type, though was hoping to come through the General Skilled Migration program. Does it differ drastically depending on your visa type and what would the best source of information for this?

7. Hi, I would advise you to log on to the Australian government immigration website to check out visas, I am certainly no expert! I know that there are various options. Here's the website: www.immi.gov.au
    Good luck!

8. P

P

Thanks. The most appropriate visa for us is currently closed according to the site. Do you know how long they usually close them for? I guess it gives me more time to research stuff!

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Are you able to get sponsored by an area? (Usually the country) I believe if you apply for your own visa it can take 18 months however if you're sponsored it can sometimes only be days/weeks.
    We moved in October but I'm only just pursuing converting my qualifications over, the course is next week... (I'm in regional NSW) x

10. P

P

That would be ideal. Not sure how I would go about getting sponsorship for education. Have looked at a few online sites and I haven' t seen mention of anything relevant so far. Any ideas what I might do differently?

Ps Hope it all goes well with the course !

11. littlemissraw

12. 'Course transcripts' means the grade and/or percentage which you were awarded for every unit of work during your degree course; they are a detailed break-down of each academic year. It is a ridiculously bureaucratic requirement, the final degree status should be enough! You may or may not be charged a fee for this service.

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Yes it is but it was the same for me applying for QTS in the UK back in the 80's where I had to have it sent directly from my university to the Department of Education and Science. Don't know if it is still the same now.
    Unfortunately, if you want to teach in another country you have a LOT of hoop jumping to do and quite honestly, I would want to be assured as a parent, that my child's teachers have been thoroughly vetted.

14. littlemissraw

Well I did the course element of the NSW Overseas Trained Teachers conversion today.
    One element which many of us where very suprised at was that you can't get a 'permenant' post (or approval) unless you have a FULL permensnt visa (4 years isn't good enough, you can only do temporary work). Also if you have this visa to get permenant work you can be appointed to ANY of the Regional areas you initially stated and you have to go for 3 YEARS! All very interesting but may have just put a nail in my teaching career as I can't possibly give up full time work to go on supply/casual teaching x

15. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I really don't mean to be offensive Little Miss Raw but I find it hard to believe that any government authority in the world would grant permanent status to a non-permanent resident. Just wouldn't make sense really would it.
    Also, I am not a spelling Nazi honestly, but if I were conducting a conversion course or interviewing prospective DEC employees, which sometimes I do, I would have a problem with that applicant making basic spelling errors which are obviously not typos.
    As far as your career goes, there is a lot of temporary work around. You can get blocks of one year or more because of the way our system is designed. The only difference between permanent and temporary status is that if numbers drop or you are deemed to be unsatisfactory you can be given notice. Otherwise all conditions, sick leave, long service leave, maternity leave, holiday pay and loading are the same as if you were permanent. It is how most new graduates start their careers in NSW.
    I guess what I am trying to say is that even if you had a permanent residency visa, you may not get a permanent position for a few years anyway.

16. P

P

I can understand concerns though. Giving up a full time position to become temporary is a big decision and can only be done if the timing is right. I would probably have to wait until my other half found something before I could risk that I think. For me, I am wanting to broaden my experience as a Senior Leader and, whilst I would love to move away, thought I might look in to doing an exchange instead. I have picked up some info about a grant available for teachers wanting do do an aspect of research and am going to spend some time looking into it. Have you come across anything along those lines at all?

17. littlemissraw

You could be right but as we were told the permanent posts tend to be 3 years in length I found it strange that in a shortage skills area potentially excellent teachers could only work on short term contracts/supply. Its certainly put the majority of the OTT course off, including myself. Luckily I have other options but there were others who decided to go back home after realising they'd have no job security.
    I'm dyslexic and don't go out of my way to proof read on here (and certainly not when typing on my phone), but thank you for reminding me that spelling Nazis are always out in force though, even on an informal forum.

LittleMissRaw
    TES Teacher Panel Member

18. littlemissraw

I've not I'm afraid P. In terms of moving it may still be possible to get a job in an independent school on a 457 visa, just not in government schools. I always like to believe things happen for the best so I'm sure you'll find the best route for you. [​IMG] Best of Luck!

19. Hi, I came to Australia 5 years ago on a 457 visa. Teaching in QLD is a bit tight (pretty severe cuts in the public sector) at the moment and the new state government is trying to prevent contract teachers from being automatically eligible for permanence after doing 3 years. Be aware that new teachers in QLD are expected to do "country service" at some stage in their careers and that is usually early on, you could end up 1000 miles from Brisbane! That said, I have been very lucky with the school I ended up in and I'm loving the job.