1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Jessaki, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

Hi there

This is a very general post with some advice on teaching abroad.

I am a single woman in my 30s and I looking to teach abroad. Ideally somewhere in the Mediterranean, however I am considering the Middle East. i am not keen on East Asia, but I am open minded.

My query really is where is a good safe place to apply to if you are a single woman. I am not afraid or anything, I have lived abroad on my own before, but only in Europe.

I am currently a HoD, but would consider a normal teaching post. I am keen to move into the international sector and have made some applications to schools in Europe, but I am willing to cast my net wider.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Just out of curiosity, why not East Asia? I grew up in the Middle East and while I loved living there, it is not somewhere I would necessarily want to work. Each to their own though.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Why are you considering these areas? If we know your motivation then we could perhaps offer advice about other suitable places.

4. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

Choose somewhere you like the look of and go. No point agonising over it. Best of luck.

5. melmmow

melmmow New commenter

Hi Jess
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you! HOD of Science, but happy to demote to teacher for the opportunity to learn/teach IB/A-level. Initially, I also considered the Med. However, from feedback on here and from further research I have also expanded my horizons. Middle East is a not for me, mainly because I am female? But as stated in previous posts, each to their own. The Med pay scale is quite low and not very competitive in relation to 'packages' in further away lands!
    I am currently applying to areas in South Each Asia, somewhere I never would of considered, but as also stated, once you start looking, research the area and school, flexibility sets in!
    Keep me posted! :)

6. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

melmmow likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Sounds almost identical to my experience in Spain

h_firas_cc likes this.
  8. h_firas_cc

h_firas_cc New commenter

Twinklefoottoe,

The TES community has complained about your unprofessional attitude on other threads. I will save myself the time and hold back from attempting to teach you some emotional intelligence.

From what you described, it sounds like you did not get to teach at one of the reputable schools.
    That wouldn't be surprising either given what you sound like. I would not hire you to pick up my garbage let alone allow you to educate young children.

I grew up in Kuwait, got a 1st class education at a 1st class institution. I left Canada recently and currently live in the south of France. The classier side of Kuwait was the environment which gave me an international perspective. Unlike you, I get taken seriously anywhere I go.

From all the pathetic posts you've made on this site, it seems like you have a lot of time on your hands. Maybe because you can't get through any interviews without sounding like your parents didn't do to well at making you socially acceptable and well-mannered. So go ahead, keep hiding behind your user name, but make better use of the time you have instead of posting garbage online:
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Best Wishes to you... really,

Firas.

9. Twinklefoottoe

10. Twinklefoottoe

When I was there, I remember one case that made the news of a Kuwaiti tutor molesting a girl he was teaching in her home. The girl told her parents and the Kuwaiti was taken to court and found guilty. Guess what the punishment was? He was told that he had to write a letter of apology to the girl's family and another letter to the court promising never to do it again. I'd be tempted to say, 'only in Kuwait', but I know that wouldn't be true.

11. h_firas_cc

h_firas_cc New commenter

Twinklefoottoe,

I am actually Canadian and not a kuwaiti national. I am taking the time to reply to your comments because I've been lucky enough to encounter Kuwaitis who constantly speak against any less than desirable behaviour from their counterparts. If any of your international experience had taught you anything, it should have been there is good and bad in any place. Your description of Kuwait does not reflect Kuwaiti society as a whole.

Having said this, I repeat that you probably taught at a crappy school. you find crappy schools in any place. There are many top notch british and american schools in kuwait, where you find expats who have chosen to stay for 20+ years. That in itself signals that your view of kuwait is narrow and based on your unfortunate experience.

Anyone reading this ought to read all your other posts on this site. Stop wasting everyone else's time dude.

12. Twinklefoottoe

There may well be some good people in Kuwait just like there may well have been some good people in the South when parts of America had slavery. I did met one or two Kuwaitis who were nice people. On the whole, though, the society is abhorrent and the people are far from those you'd want to associate with, because it supports and encourages the kafala slavery system and because of the arrogance that its oil has brought. Kafala is everywhere in Kuwait and potential teachers, and especially women, thinking of going there should have all the facts in advance about this regime they are potentially going to, not just the rosy picture you want to paint to try and earn a recruitment commission.

Perhaps the kind of society Kuwait is and the mindset of the people there are best summarised by Amnesty International this year:

"Authorities used a telecommunications law to prosecute and imprison critics who expressed dissent using social media, and curtailed the right to public assembly. The government continued to withhold nationality and citizenship rights from tens of thousands of Bidun people, and arbitrarily stripped several critics and members of their families of their Kuwaiti citizenship. Women faced discrimination in law and practice. Foreign migrant workers, who comprised over half of the population, lacked adequate protection under the law and were subject to discrimination, exploitation and abuse."

https://www.amnesty.org/en/countries/middle-east-and-north-africa/kuwait/report-kuwait/

Amnesty aren't the only organisation to slam Kuwait over many issues but particularly the abuse of foreigners and women. Maybe you should mention this to the people you try to recruit to this place, when you come onto these forums and advertise your recruitment services (breaking the forum rules in the process).

Thanks for reading my posts. They are entertaining, aren't they. If you are a bit bored tonight and want to broaden your knowledge of what other foreigners apart from me who've worked there think of the place you love so much, why not pop along to the overseas forum and search for 'kuwait'?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  13. h_firas_cc

h_firas_cc New commenter

Expats with credentials do not experience anything you speak of, and living in Kuwait if far better than the picture you describe. That's about all the time i have for this tonight.

And yes, your posts are entertaining. Life would be a little dull if not for you young man.

Best wishes to you... really.

14. Twinklefoottoe

Old (and wise) man, actually.

15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

You posts are indeed entertaining, Twinklefoottoe, and if I were looking for another overseas job (which God forfend) I'd be inclined to trust your view of the oily Emirate. On a related theme, we seem to have lost Principal Skinner, persistent apologist for the chop-happy Kingdom. Maybe those 42 executions have made him think again.

16. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.