1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Ta and Teaching career

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by sarah662, Apr 8, 2012.

1. sarah662

sarah662 New commenter

Hi all

I want to become a Primary School Teacher and a Ta while I study. I would like so advice on what I can do to enhance my career and give me a solid career base. I have 6 GCSE's A-C and I am currently studying a Level 2 Certificate in Adult Numeracy. I have a Level 3 Teaching Assistant Diploma and a Level 3 Special Educational Needs Diploma both with Distinctions. I am also studying a Level 3 playwork Certificate and I have other training and certificates. I am applying to college for a foundation Degree in Educational Practise in Sep and hope to go on to top it up and into teacher training. I am also considering a Level 3 Children and Young peoples Workforce Diploma.
    Experience wise I have worked with special needs children, worked as a classroom helper, playwork within a school sewith the girlguides as a leader. I hope to get a voluntary placement as a classroom helper in september for a few days a week as my youngest child will be in nursery.

I have been having trouble getting a paid Ta role as i live in a small town and the jobs are few and far between hence studying while I have been at home caring for my children so any advice on any courses or what I can do to further study and experience would be appreciated.

2. sarah662

sarah662 New commenter

Hi all

I want to become a Primary School Teacher and a Ta while I study. I would like so advice on what I can do to enhance my career and give me a solid career base. I have 6 GCSE's A-C and I am currently studying a Level 2 Certificate in Adult Numeracy. I have a Level 3 Teaching Assistant Diploma and a Level 3 Special Educational Needs Diploma both with Distinctions. I am also studying a Level 3 playwork Certificate and I have other training and certificates. I am applying to college for a foundation Degree in Educational Practise in Sep and hope to go on to top it up and into teacher training. I am also considering a Level 3 Children and Young peoples Workforce Diploma.
    Experience wise I have worked with special needs children, worked as a classroom helper, playwork within a school sewith the girlguides as a leader. I hope to get a voluntary placement as a classroom helper in september for a few days a week as my youngest child will be in nursery.

I have been having trouble getting a paid Ta role as i live in a small town and the jobs are few and far between hence studying while I have been at home caring for my children so any advice on any courses or what I can do to further study and experience would be appreciated.

3. Hi,

Firstly it doesn't matter where you live - TA jobs are like rocking horse poo - ie non existent! I live in one of the UKs biggest cities and there have been perhaps 5/6 jobs advertised this year. That's what the coalition government have achieved! I am now doing supply work and loving it!

Secondly, check on the TDA wesite that the courses you've done are accredited. Some online ones aren't. (you don't mention going to college). Incidentally, I got 7 GCSEs A-C in 1990, and have not had to do an adult numeracy or literacy course. (though I am 2/3 of the way throug my degree with the OU).

Good luck... And sorry if the paragraphs disappear - they often do when I am using my phone to post.

Wren

4. sarah662

sarah662 New commenter

Thanks for repying.
    Both courses are NCFE I checked them out before I started them :) . I am currently a respite carer while I wait to get a job but im not even through to interview stage very frustrating. I found a Level 4 NCFE Higher Level Teaching Assistant Diploma online course last night so may have a go at that while I have the time on my hands. Will not give me Higher Lever Teaching Assistant Status but it will look nice on my C.V anyway and I enjoy learning. Thank you and good luck on your degree.

5. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

Just to mention if you are doing the foundation degree you will cover all the standards for HLTA. It is slowly being recognised as much as HLTA status.
    I think you have enough qualifications, but would advise the Foundation Degree. A few sessions voluntary work in your local school is the best you could do to help yourself now. Good Luck!

6. rolls

rolls New commenter

A foundation degree is a really good idea. I wouldn't bother doing any further level 3 qualifications but I'm not sure if you have all the GCSEs you need as you say you are taking a numeracy certificate. Youy need GCSE Maths, Science and English at C or above, some institutions are asking for English at B or above to progress onto teaching.
    Most importantly get experience in schools, this will probably need to be voluntary at least in the first instance.

7. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Just to mention that requirements vary by LEA. I left a long career in IT to become a TA 2 years ago, and did not have any education-related qualifications. The local schools were looking for GCSE or equivalent in Maths and English, and preferably some experience (voluntary included). Many also specified IT skills. Good luck !