1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on seeing pupils in public

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by carlypurnell, Oct 26, 2018.

1. carlypurnell

carlypurnell New commenter

Hello,
    I have a dilemma. I have some issues with past pupils. I moved jobs around three years ago, but I still live in the same area. Whenever I see a specific set of students in my local town from my old school they harass me. They call out insults towards me and shout my name. It’s very intimidating. They are all now in year eleven.
    How can I deal with this? I have got in touch with the school but have seen no improvement.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An interesting first message from a poster who has been a member of the forum since 2013.

That said, if the pupils are in uniform then the school should take some responsibility.

If the pupils are not in uniform, then technically it is not the school's responsibility but that of the police.

Identify the individuals and take appropriate action.

3. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

How the world has changed !. In 1927 my mum was in town (York) when she saw her teacher and excitedly called out 'Hello Miss x '. Back in school the teacher berated her for being familiar in public and gave her six of the best to remind her of her place in society.

4. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Get a large (protective) German Shepherd, on a long lead.

Problem solved! ;)

woollani, nomad, neddyfonk and 2 others like this.
  5. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Just call the police. It is your right as a member of the public.

6. carlypurnell

Thank you!
    I just find it so annoying, hence this comment. I think if it happens again I’m going to have to. It is not a nice feeling at all.

woollani, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It wouldn't be.

Greet them with a cheery wave. Get out your mobile and make out as if you're going to point it at them.

"Wotcha doin', Miss?"

"Nothing, nothing."

If they think you might be taking a video of them? Might give them a scare. Make sure there are plenty of people around and about.

8. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Police should be happy to at least log it, in case of any escalation.

nomad likes this.
  9. carlypurnell

That’s such a good idea!!
    To be honest I think that would scare them off more!

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Probably won't work for you, but once in a former town, I was greeted by a cry of "Phlogiston, you Onanist". I responded with a cheerful "hi, how are you doing this evening?" There was a go smacked silence.

11. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I've had this a few times as I live in the catchment area of my last school and a few times got sworn at. I just used to wave and say have a nice weekend, see you on monday or stand there laughing.

In one case I did say have if you think that is appropriate say it to me at 905am tomorrow. (When I sadly worked there)

You can report it to the police but if they are like it round my way they won't do much unless it was the other way around.

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

How the police react depends what it is. If it's serious - for example, if the comments have a racial, sexist or homophobic overtone - then if you are able to identify the pupils to the police they will more likely take it seriously. Ultimately, though, if it's causing you hurt and difficulties then report it (and tell the school that you have reported it.)

dunnocks likes this.