1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on returning to school after a short time of Home Educating.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ElleCalamitas, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Thankyou both for your feedback, I must admit my husband and I have got the wobbles a little bit. It's not that we are expecting a hostile reception as such, but Home edding really does seem to divide people hugely, and my husband is desperate that my son is welcomed without any pre conceived ideas.
    I feel a bit caught between a rock and a hard place as I have also mentioned to my son that if he has covered something before, not to say "oh I've done this" he is an enthusiastic learner anyway, but I don't want his hand shooting up all the time and his teacher thinking he's a pita.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Our son has just started in year 7 after being home educated since the middle of year 5. He didn't have the slightest problem in reintegrating and seems ahead of his peers in spite of our fairly relaxed attitude to doing anything very formal at home. He's just been chosen for a poetry competition because his English is very good, and at a Maths morning he was much quicker at mental arithmetic than his friends who spent year 6 being drilled in it.
    I was amused that he was selected for a group of year 6s who the school thought might have trouble starting at high school. They obviously thought home education was a bit weird but no one actually said so!
    Is there a reason you want to send your child back to school? Having already experienced year 6 three times with our older children it was the one year we were very keen to avoid! We spent it going on trips and having a nice time and, surprise, surprise, that seems to have developed our son more than sitting in a classroom practising tests.
    Some people will think home educating is weird but I wouldn't let that put you off a school, as long as you're confident no one will use it against your child. I'd look at the whole school and choose the one you like the best.

3. We had thought about continuing, but we thought the jump to high school might be too much of a culture shock. My son is not particularly outgoing and takes a while to find his feet sometimes. He's not streetwise at all. Maybe I'm overthinking it all,and just beng ridiculously over protective?

4. Doitforfree

In some ways it's easier starting back in at high school as everyone is new and finding their feet. And while it's not perfect it's a lot more stimulating than year 6! My son still had all his local friends which made it easier but he's quickly made some new ones too. And he's definitely not streetwise! Does your son go to cubs or anything like that where he could at least meet some of the people he'd be going to high school with? I've known a few people whose children have gone to school after home education, sometimes having never been to school, and they've all just fitted right in. In my experience home educated children, even if they seem shy, are used to mixing with people of all ages and are good at just getting on with things.

5. Well, he's just started a couple of clubs as we have only just moved to the area, he is on a waiting list for a couple of others. He hasn't made any friends yet but it's early days anyway. We are still exploring what else is on offer. What are your reservations about year 6, is it all the SATS stuff?

6. Doitforfree

SATs and general boredom. The school was a very normal, unremarkable but nice primary school, but children who were always going to do well in their SATs were not taught anything, just given endless papers to do. Our boys had been moved up in Maths and by year 6 there was nothing left for them to do, and no willingness to find anything as the teachers were busy with children who needed more help. But school can be pretty boring anyway, especially if your child wants to learn. It looks nice and fluffy and exciting from the outside but actually, for a lot of children, it's really quite unstimulating and a lot of what's done is a bit pointless. Mine wanted to learn or read a book, but they had to sit in lessons where they weren't being taught anything new, and couldn't choose to read a book instead!
    I reckoned I could cover what took a week in school in about five minutes at home, so that's more or less what we did, that is, a minimum of Maths and English (though as it turns out, a lot more useful stuff than the school children were doing!) and then lots of things that we liked, which was mostly trips and going to the cinema. My son was able to use his time usefully on the musical instruments he plays, rather than having to cram practice in after school. And there was no pointless homework!

7. I work in secondary, and to be honest when children start in Y7 it's a big difference from what they have experienced in primary, so I think that even if your son has been home educated and then he starts in Y7, he will just be one more of the crowd with the other kids. They will all be on the same boat, and although many of them know each other from primary they do get mixed in the tutor groups, so they all tend to make new friends.
    I would say that in terms of starting afresh, maybe Y7 is best, as everybody is really starting afresh. In terms of the famous "data", we do receive the records from primary, but in Y7 all students are retested in Literacy and Numeracy and other ability tests anyway, and they use this for the sets (I don't personally agree with this procedure, but this is the way it's done). So, probably starting in Y7 your son would avoid having to go through lots of useless testing in Y6 to have to redo it again in Y7.
    In secondary we do sometimes get kids who have been out of school for a while, not necessarily home educated, but just moving between areas, countries or having being kicked out of other schools. They are welcomed and integrated the same as other kids, and even though most teachers are critical of home education, they will not make their personal believes affect the way they teach these students, at least from what I can see in my school.
    You always hear horrible comments in the staff room about this or that student who was home educated or came from the local Steiner school... but students will be treated with the same respect as other students.

8. Doitforfree

Why would they be critical of home education? Is it just because it's potentially doing them out of a job or do they have other reasons? The more I go into schools the less I think they're suitable places for anyone to spend a lot of time.

9. Thanks tortuman, I certainly wasn't expecting to read that from a teacher.
    Doitforfree, I imagine they would feel it undermines their job?
    Husband is very receptive to the idea of starting in Year 7, but then it's not him that stays at home.I hadn't even entertained the thought of continuing . Oh my, that will go down well with my very conventional inlaws [​IMG] my son however will probably think all his Christmasses have come at once and never want to go back.