1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on restraint?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Frecklefeatures, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Am seeking some advice, without going into too much detail. I am trained in restraint and avoid using it unless the child is in imminent danger to themselves or others (just to be clear about that). I have been having to restrain a pupil who is very volatile and either attacks staff or self-harms when they are agitated. I am now finding that I am in a lot of pain (shoulders/elbows/wrists/numbness in fingers) from restraining. I am the only member of staff trained in restraint, so can only do one-person holds, leaving me suffering, plus with the additional bonus that I am in danger of being bitten/scratched as I can't do a 2-person hold where I would be angled away from them/my arms would be out of reach etc. I'm getting quite exhausted, and dreading going to work tomorrow in case I have to restrain again as I'm worried about causing myself some lasting damage. Am concerned about 'duty of care' if I don't restrain and this pupil injures themselves, and also about how I can go about protecting my own health? I'm no good to anyone if I get hurt. I am filling in the forms/desperately trying to think of the 'magic' strategy that will work, but the reality is that this child has profound needs and is going to have tantrums regardless. Any help gratefully received :)

2. Could you write a letter detailing your concerns to the head?

3. I think your employer needs to consider their duty of care to you. If you are already aching and bruised from restraining and are at risk of doing yourself more serious long term damage then something needs to be done urgently. Can the child be managed better in another, less stimulating, space? Have you carefully analysed what triggers the tantrums?
    In the longer term I think you clearly need more staff to be trained in appropriate restraint techniques. All staff in our school are Team Teach trained and a significant amount of that training is on de-escalation and how to support one another in restraints.
    I hope you manage to sort something out soon

4. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I fully agree with Ruthie66. This may sound harsh, but as you said you are no good to anyone if you are injured, you MUST look after yourself as well as the child. Also, if you get yourself into a physical position where you are involved in a restraint and you are unable to contain the pupil's behaviour and injury to that pupil occurs, there may well be other issues that every teacher could do without.
    If you are unable to restrain this pupil for their own protection, without injury/lasting effects to yourself, surely there needs to be a major rethink on the part of management.
    Take care of yourself
    B x

5. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Are you trained in Team Teach or another programme? The reason I ask is that my previous setting used Team Teach, and a couple of members of staff were 'trainers' for the school. It meant that they had to go on refresher courses to support the rest of the staff. Mind you, the entire staff was trained there.
    Are there similar settings in your local area who could support your school with the training? I know it may be out of your control regarding getting it sorted, but is it a question worth asking?
    Good luck
    B x

6. it will cost the school/LA much more if you end up suing them injuries caused in the course of your work or the parents sue after the child has injured him/herself because you were unable to restrain.
    In terms of responsibility in the child was injured you need to be able to demonstrate that what you were doing was in the best interests of the child who was being restrained, was reasonable and proprtionate and that by not doing anything there was a greater risk of a worse outcome. If you can do that then you will be OK - whether the management of the school would be able to demonstrate that they did all that was necesary to avoid an injury, to you or the child, is another matter.