1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on references (Non teaching post)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by The Why Bird, Jun 17, 2015.

1. I'm applying for a non-teaching pastoral role. My history is a social work type role so I'm not coming from another school.

I am having a problem with references. My most recent employer is my own father. I have spent the last 3 years establishing a new site for the family business and have been the manager, so there's no intermediate supervisor to use as a reference. My old local authority post has been dissolved and the departments combined so I no longer know any of the managers there.

What do I put for references? Is it acceptable to put my father (and acknowledge on the form we are related) and my old department (though I don't know who I could name there?) and put in my application letter that I can provide further references if needed? I could provide a manager from several years ago who I also worked with running a voluntary youth group, and possibly a police Sgt from the domestic violence unit who worked alongside me but wasn't my manager.

Is any of that any use? I want to be totally transparent but I'm aware the most obvious references (last two employers) are likely to be of little use.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think that you are going to need a whole extra one-side letter just to explain all the ins and outs here of the reference, and give them a choice of a number of people.

I don't suppose that you are a member of a religious group - church, mosque, synagogue, gurdwara, etc? If so, perhaps you could have somebody from there.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.