1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

advice on profit making school Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by KS4lady, May 2, 2012.

1. I am currently in the middle of a job offer from Dubai - subject to my references being ok (that was Monday). The school have not asked for references still and I am beginning to wonder how on the ball they are. Is this normal practice for schools in Dubai?

One of the assistant head teachers had a big talk with me today about working for profit making schools and how much they may expect of you outside of school hours, how much of a role parents play etc. He also added that I should take note of how organised the school are - in other words maybe this school isn't.

I would really like advice on this as I really want to teach in Dubai and have a new challenge but I don't want to make any silly decisions.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

2. I am currently in the middle of a job offer from Dubai - subject to my references being ok (that was Monday). The school have not asked for references still and I am beginning to wonder how on the ball they are. Is this normal practice for schools in Dubai?

One of the assistant head teachers had a big talk with me today about working for profit making schools and how much they may expect of you outside of school hours, how much of a role parents play etc. He also added that I should take note of how organised the school are - in other words maybe this school isn't.

I would really like advice on this as I really want to teach in Dubai and have a new challenge but I don't want to make any silly decisions.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

3. Sounds like you're getting a big fat warning about working there. Have you checked it out on ISR? Many schools will string you along for a while in order to see how desperate you are and to see how much they think they can work you whilst paying you less.

4. I meant to say an assistant head from my own school at the moment was warning me about profit making schools.

He finds it very strange the way the school have offered me a job subject to references and have still not asked for references. Is this normal practice for schools in Dubai?

5. Be interesting to know which school it is. The previous poster's advice on checking out the school via ISR is sound.