1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on professional development to Deputy Head?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by olivia_kent, May 29, 2011.

1. olivia_kent

olivia_kent New commenter

I have been working internationally for a number of years, including working on the school leadership team.
    I am interested in "moving on up" to Deputy Headteacher / Vice Principal, Head of Phase, or possibly even Headteacher of a small school. Unfortunately, there are no such opportunities in my current school.
    Which qualifications do I need, or which qualifications would be advantageous for these positions? What qualifications are required for the equivalent in UK schools?
    I am really starting to think about Professional Development and would appreciate any advice available. Thank you in advance.

2. olivia_kent

olivia_kent New commenter

I have been working internationally for a number of years, including working on the school leadership team.
    I am interested in "moving on up" to Deputy Headteacher / Vice Principal, Head of Phase, or possibly even Headteacher of a small school. Unfortunately, there are no such opportunities in my current school.
    Which qualifications do I need, or which qualifications would be advantageous for these positions? What qualifications are required for the equivalent in UK schools?
    I am really starting to think about Professional Development and would appreciate any advice available. Thank you in advance.

3. Leading from the middle NCSL is pretty good, Masters degree another option. International schools can be viewed as private schools back here so you'll need to work hard on your application letter to prove equivalence of your work to date or look at private schools too.