1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on pregnancy and jobs...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Houstonwehaveaproblem, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hey
    This is the first time I've posted on here, been lurking for a while!
    I have been working at a school on a temp contract for a couple of years, and my school have recently offered me a permanent part-time position, which I have accepted. I dont have a contract or anything yet, it starts in September - Ill be working on my temp contract until then. I have a letter offering me the job, which I have replied to.
    We are keen (very keen!) to start trying for a family ASAP, but I am worried about the timing. If (and I know its a huge IF) I were to get pregnant within the first few months of trying I'd be quite pregnant by July - maybe 13 weeks or something, and even more in September. What I am concerned about is that if I were pregnant, and told them before summer hols, is that they might find someway of not giving me the part time permanent job. Is that possible? I know its a slim chance I'd be that pregnant, but its one scenario and one that worries both my partner and I.
    If anyone has had a similar experience, or can offer any advice, please do! Should we just wait till Sept time (though I really dont want to - we have a lovely relaxing 2 week sunny hol coming up soon, perfect chance to get cracking ;)
    Houston.

2. Hi Houston.
    Please excuse the lack of paragraphs, I am on the phone but didn't want to read and run. I am currently in a similar position (but no letter yet), and have asked a similar question on here https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/465771.aspx?PageIndex=1#6505928
    This is the advice I was given, hope it helps!

3. As far as I know, they cannot revoke an offer on grounds of pregnancy as it is sexual discrimination. If you have a letter signed by the head/deputy and on school headed paper and they do it, you have proof to take to tribunal! I hate having to think/talk like this-it makes me feel like a right schemer.
    We are starting to try this month. Just think of it as being at least June before you are 12wks and need to tell anyone. That's how I'm thinking! Going to join TTC soon-still plucking up the courage to post.
    Hopefully see you there. :)
    Ps, please excuse no paragraphs again-must use computer!