1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on possibly leaving

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by NewStrings, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Hi,

I don't want to go into a lot of detail, but I've been in my job since September 2010 as an NQT and now as a normal teacher. I've never been happy there. It's an extraordinary school but that also means that I'm being held to standards that are about six feet above my head. The management style of my HOD and line manager don't suit me at all and I feel low all the time - right now I feel sick and terrified at the thought of going to school tomorrow and I'll sit in the car outside, trying to convince myself to go in. I had hoped that it would get better this year after I passed but it hasn't. Now my dilemna is when to quit.

I know I need to quit by Feb 10th to leave at Easter. I don't feel like I'm capable of working until August but I only have five weeks to get another job. I'm thinking of going for temporary LSA/TA jobs until I can get something back in teaching.

How do I approach this with my team, especially when I explain that I'm leaving to get out of there and not to go somewhere else? They're going to find it odd that I'm applying for "lesser" jobs like TA/LSA when I'm qualified.

Also, I'm technically surplus to the department. They hired a teacher to replacement last year (long story) but as I didn't go there's always someone free. Is it possible that they might do away with the normal resignation deadlines for me and allow me to resign whenever I find an appropriate job? Or is that never done?

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

If they have someone to cover for you and leaving will save them money if you talk to your head when you find something to apply for they probably won't mind when you go.

3. Hi! Sorry to hear about your situation!

Yes, it is possible for employers to shorten your notice period if required because this has happened to me twice.

Remember, your health is your priority, so if you feel the way you described, then you must go.

It might be worth your while having a chat with a relevant leader in the school who could advise you as to whether this is an option (explain briefly that you want to move on and have seen a job with a start date after you want to go and ask whether the school would release you for then or ask when the earliest date is that you could be released). Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I don't think they'll find it odd at all, by the way (given the current employment situation). In any case, it's none of their business, if they do!

Good luck!

4. Sorry to hear that you are so stressed by your current job.
    Have you checked out the availability of these roles in your area? Can you afford to leave before securing another post? TA/LSA posts are becoming more difficult to secure in the current economic climate. Could you think about TA supply or even teacher supply?
    Headteachers I am sure would be pleased to have a qualified teacher on a LSA/TA salary.
    Take time to think about what you want to do, don't rush into any decisions and make sure whatever you choose isn't simply an escape from your current situation but is what you want to do.
    Is there anyone who you trust in your current school who you could confide in?

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It is hard when you feel so bad about going to work. Teaching is very stressful, no two ways about that.
    Could you cope if your school allowed you to go part time for a while? You might manage a morning when a full day seems too much.
    If I were in your position I would imagine that it is a temporary teaching contract and that it will be finished soon. And it will, because you are going to look for another teaching job. OK. So if you can manage this kind of thinking you might just be able to give a go with a bit more of a devil may care attitude. Remember that if you take this approach, and get another job and it still does not suit you, you can always do something else and you will find another job and that it is no shame to you if you quit teaching. Quite the opposite. It shows real courage.
    So there you are. You have options. Keep going, lots of love XX

6. Thank you all for the advice. No, there's nobody I can talk to :(

I feel awful today. I think my anemia might've come back because I'm always tired. Today I'm so tired that I'm barely keeping awake even when I'm walking and I'm TERRIFIED about using the equipment. I could lose a hand or worse on them and I can't concentrate at all. I don't have the guts to ask for the day off, I'd feel rude and judged, so I'm just pacing the staff room in tears in my free, trying to pull myself together and wake up enough to teach my y11 today.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You need to resign by the END of February in order to 'officlally' be released from contract the end of April.

If you can afford to, do see your head about early release as it seems you are very distressed, or at least take some time off sick to give yourself space to think.

8. endoftheroad

endoftheroad New commenter

go to the drs and get signed off

9. I've tried to see a doctor but I work so far from home that I either need the day off or to go to a local doctor here. They won't see me as a walk-in patient for the tests that I need and I don't feel comfortable enough to ask for a day off. I even called NHS direct today for advice on a few things and he refused to speak to me and hung up because I didn't have a phone number to give him. I don't have a school extension and my mobile doesn't work on school grounds! Feel like I'm being battered every which way.

Is it definitely the end of February and not half term?

Will taking time off sick affect my prospects for another job, e.g. poor reference?

10. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Ring NHS when you get home tonight. Get an appointment at your GP. Loads of people take a day off and better do sort it now before it gets even worse.

11. I agree with Torey. Don't worry about taking time off sick. It happens to everyone at some point. As my GP said to me, some illness are on the inside rather than the outside. It doesn't make them less serious. If you're still worried, say that you have an emergency appointment on the day when you've arranged to see the doc. Torey's right, if you don't do something, you could end up having a breakdown and then you wouldn't be working anywhere. Surely, a few mins worth of discomfort is a small price to pay for long-term happiness and productivity?

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck!

12. I have my third surprise 'drop in' of the month so far and I've only taught eight lessons!! I feel like I might actually pass out. You're right that I need to see a doctor and I'm telling them today that I'm looking for a new job, but... arghhh. I feel like such a coward. So pathetic.

13. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

Are you having any specific issues though? By that, I mean have you been told or warned that your performance is not up to scratch? If not, then if you can, keep going and tell yourself that as soon as you have another job, you are gone. Look for a job, but don't quit if you really can help it.

14. I'm only good/satisfactory which in this school is like being 100% unsatisfactory. Problem is, the first few lessons they observed WERE poor, for good reason, but then I worked on everything they said and felt quite confident... and then their observations suddenly became really unpredictable and negative. The more they gave me surprise observations (I've had three so far this year, plus two more 'drop in's, about about seven last year... so ten surprise observations in the last 10 months) the more I lose my nerve. I start shaking now when someone walks in. I could have the best lesson on the planet planned but when one of them walks in my mind goes empty and my legs start to tremble and then before I know it the kids are asking me if I'm been running and my vision goes blurry (today - ended up hyperventilating, got taken to the nurse and looked after for a bit, then bundled back to do my observation lesson). I've NEVER been like this before. People used to taunt me for being cold as ice with nerves of steel.

15. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

I know exactly how you feel - I was given mostly unsatisfactory obs when I know that they weren't - I argued with evidence which she just ignored and refused to take account of, so I resigned. I really don't understand how satisfactory/good can be interpreted as unsatisfactory - I doubt any other job would do this!