1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by spaniel8, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Please can anyone help?
    A friend of mine is teaching at an international school with TEFL and the school would like him to do a PGCE. He is worried that other international schools in the future would not employ him as most when advertising state that they require at least 2 years experience in the UK, so what is the point of it. It will cost him a lot of money and he needs advice one way or another. Any thoughts on this?

2. Somebody must have an opinion -would you employ him with an international PGCE or always overlook him for a UK PGCE.

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

If the school wants him to do a PGCE then they should fund it.

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Haven't you changed the question?
    Sure, we'd employ him with an International PGCE.
    But, yes, we prefer to hire teachers with a minimum of two years' experience,
    Not least because then he can provide us with evidence that he's a hot property in the teachin an learnin stakes, and the names of referees who can testify to that.

5. If the school are going to pay for it, he;d a be barking mad not to do it. I want to convert my PGCE and it would cost me £9000 plu living expenses for the year!
    What are his reasons for not doing it? Surely if he's teaching already it'll be a walk in the park?

6. The school are not going to pay.
    He is already teaching and feels the only benefit would be if he was applying for other jobs, but wants to know that if employers will always employ UK trained teachers rather than international PGCE teachers then why do it when it costs so much.

7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I am not sure that I would describe my PGCE course as a "walk in the park", millsandboon, and I do not remember anyone else who was on the course describing it in similar terms to yours.
    Of course most international schools expect teachers to have a B.Ed or a degree plus a PGCE. IB/PYP schools usually expect some extra IB/PYP training, but then again they do often pay a bit more and so they can afford to be fussy. There are always some schools (such as the horrible *** so-called "schools") that will employ anybody, whether they have a teaching qualification or not, but no one in their right mind would ever consider working in such places.

8. I found it fairly easy going to be honest Hippo, but then I came into
    it in my late 20s from a business background where I worked an average
    of 16 hours a day in a high pressure environment. I'm sorry that you and
    your friends had a difficult time doing yours.
    I think if I was to do it again now with 6 years teaching under my belt, I'd find it even easier. I think most people who have any significant teaching practice might also find it less daunting than a student coming into it with no time in class, planning experience, marking experience, etc etc....just my opinion.
    I hope your frend does go for it though OP, to use it as a negotioating tool for better pay if nothing else. If your friend is happy to limit their options in terms of who he/she could teach and where then maybe he could use his experience and see where it takes him.

9. Here's something of interest to pass on...

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/education/prospective/teachertraining/pgceinternational.aspx