1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on NQT pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by London_Mathematics_teacher, Feb 1, 2020.

?

Accept the offer or keep searching

1. Accept

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. keep searching

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I am a 37-year-old doing PGCE mathematics, I have been offered a job my placement school in inner London, the school offered me M3, but I wanted M4 after some negotiation, they will still only giveM3 but subject to meeting teaching standards and good behaviour management they will double jump this to M5 by the end of NQT year and they say its as good as being on M4.

I have been working as a very successful private tutor for the last 10 years full time, and also hold MSc mathematics from a prestigious university. I can teach mathematics at any level including KS5 further maths FP2, FS2, FM2, D2 etc..

Is the offer I received fair considering my experience and qualifications or do I have better opportunities elsewhere?
    do schools offer M4 or M5 in NQT year?

Salary is important to me, I have a family so need to be able to support my family, I would be happy with M4 inner London or M5 outer London to start with, this school is an outstanding school which I have done well in my first placement.
    I am hoping someone will give me some advice on if I should keep looking for a better offer or accept the offer I was given.

I appreciate the advice.

thank you

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I would accept it. They are under no obligation to offer anything other than M1.
    Whilst you are clearly very well qualified, teaching full classes of all abilities for a full week, week in week out, whilst keeping up with all the other demands teaching brings is a whole different ball game to private tutoring or even the PGCE.
    I'd bite their hand off!

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

And remember that M3 or M4 or whatever might mean one thing or might mean another. Check what their M3 is in terms of £.

border_walker likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Accept it. They, and you, have no idea if you can teach at all yet. your own academic qualifications are not relevant, in fact if you personally had found maths easy, that does not indicate being any use for children who find it hard. Private tutoring is also irrelevant. I suspect they are offering M3 because it is a shortage subject. There is nothing in your personal history that warrants it.

border_walker likes this.
  5. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

I defo do think it's a good offer and once you've been there a year - there may be more opportunities to negotiate more. M3 is quite high especially for a NQT year (especially as you'll be on a reduced timetable, need support/coaching still). The most important part is if it is sustainable for you but as Corvuscorax mentioned, they are offering that on merits that are great but can't showcase how you'll be in the demands of teaching or within their school environment.

6. Dear all Many thanks for the suggestions, I am very grateful.
    The school pay scale is the same as STPCD so on that basis its good.

I have been teaching for the past four months as part of my first placement, so they know how I teach.
    I do appreciate that I will have to teach a lot more hours, but I don't feel that's an issue, I prefer that over the university coursework.

I am planning to accept the offer by the deadline they gave me unless I get something better. I feel all the advice offered here is valid and I am thankful. Naturally, I want to know if I can get more anywhere else given my experience and qualifications.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

STPCD only states minimum and maximum pay for the Main Pay Range. It does not define M4 or M anything else. So you really must ask.