1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on notice period

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by azizquo, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I am an NQT and began my post in September. Unfortunately I have decided to hand in my notice as I am finding teaching extremely difficult and feel I can no longer cope. I was wanting some advice about my situation at the moment. I am on a temporary maternity leave contract and it states in my contract that I must give 4 weeks notice. I have been finding it very difficult to go into work and teach as I have been suffering from anxiety. However I was told by the headteacher when I handed in my notice that if I was signed off by the doctor with stress I would not be entitled to sick pay and also they would have to tell any future employers my reason for leaving was 'stress'. I am just wondering if this is the case? And if I was unable to go into work, where would I stand?I know that in my contract it states that I should get 25 days paid sick leave.

I am very upset about the situation as I feel I haven't been given the right support at my school and now that I am leaving I have been told that I have to serve 4 weeks notice despite not feeling in a fit state to do so.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

2. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

To be honest I would bite the bullet and teach the last four weeks. I would tell the head teacher, via email, that you do not feel confident in the classroom and would appreciate some support. I'm being cynical here.. If you've put it in writing then if anything goes pear shaped and they haven't provided support.. well it's their fault not yours.

I suspect that having given in your notice you might find that you find the work less stressful.. you can count down the days. Keep your planning simple and achievable... I would try to plan to make your lessons manageable in terms of behaviour but fun for you and the kids... There's no point in worrying about how they are going to assess you during the last few weeks... to be fair leaving the school during your NQT is likely to be far more damaging than anything they can say about you... so don't stress about it.

I would then suggest you spend some time asking other schools if you can go in and observe other teachers... ask them about their working environment and the demands put upon them... that way you can get an idea of whether it was the school that didn't suit or the profession itself.

You know that your NQT is probably the hardest year in teaching... experience and 'practice' are two of the most valuable tools ... but you only get them with time. All I'm saying is that it does get easier.