1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on moving to and teaching in London...

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by CaseyD, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am planning on making the big move from Australia to London in August to teach. (I am English and History trained, holding a Masters of Secondary Teaching.)
    As I have never experienced anything like this before, I was hoping for some advice on exactly how to go about it. Should I register with particular agencies? I also read on these forums that you can sign up within particular boroughs - is this correct?
    I would like to teach within North, North-West or South-West London, but also considering further west, outside the London "city" district (around Reading, etc).
    Please, any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Casey.
    BTW - I will be in London from the 27th March - 4th April, before completing a European tour. I was thinking of trying to make some contacts then in preparation for August...?

2. Advice, Don't do it.
    Much of London is populated with rough schools, kids out of control, poorly resourced, parents who attack (I am not joking), litter, grafitti, gangs engaged in turf-wars, drug dealers inside 7 outside schools.
    You will be ripped apart, the school management will not support you.
    You will have a much better experience by working in Africa, where the kids behave, listen attentively to their teachers, actually want to learn.

3. Oh, forgot to mention, I taught in SE London for 17 years. In that time, two of my students were stabbed to death, and two others were convicted of murder (four separate incidents). At least nine were imprisoned for serious crimes, and eight more were the victims of violent assaults, including one stabbed five times, and one set upon by a dog (with the dog-owner encouraging the mauling). I am not alone in being a teacher called to give evidence at the Old Bailey in the trial of one of his students. Attacks on teachers by pupils are a daily occurance, and parents have been known to assualt staff at the school gates.
    Bullying of pupils by pupils is at an all-time high, staff are powerless to intervene.
    My brother lives in Perth, Australia, and the difference is astonishing. As an Aussie, you will be breathless at the state of English education. It is not something you will want to join.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Well, my school is just South of Reading and currently looking for an English teacher!
    Inner London can be tough - outer/Fringe can be easier.

Be prepared that your Australian Qualifications will not be recognised and you will probably required to complete an OTT year before gaining QTS (ie a year at a lower rate of pay where you have to jump through the same hoops as Newly Qualified Teachers).

Teachers in the South East are a friendly bunch, though, and tend to come from all over -= both UK wide and worldwide!

H