1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice on moving to and teaching in America.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by carlroberts935, May 22, 2019.

  1. carlroberts935

    carlroberts935 New commenter


    I've just finished my final year of my History degree. I will be doing a PGCE in Secondary History starting this September.

    I want to move to the United States as soon as possible after finishing my PGCE. I will most likely be looking at moving to Connecticut, permanently, to teach.

    I was wondering if there was a practical guide to how I might achieve this?
    What visas/permits would I need?
    I understand certain states have their own regulations and guidelines, so what further testing would I need to undertake?
    What would be the easiest way to migrate to the US as a teacher?
    Is there anything I can do prior to the end of the PGCE that would increase my chances and make moving easier?

    Thank you
  2. lucyrose50

    lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

    If your intention is to move permanently to the USA to teach, would you not be better doing your teacher training there? If you train in the UK and then immediately leave for the USA, you'll likely have to do some sort of conversion course for your teaching qualification before you're allowed to teach there. This will all take time and you won't be earning, whereas if you trained in the USA you'd be qualified to teach there and could be looking for jobs during your course.
  3. carlroberts935

    carlroberts935 New commenter

    I have looked into it, but it doesn't seem as financially viable as studying in the UK could be. In the UK I would get student loan + bursary for a PGCE, as well as being able to work to save money, whereas in the USA I haven't seen those sort of options.

    Maybe you could tell me more or send links about the conversion courses, please?

Share This Page