1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on moving from mainstream primary teaching to SEN teaching.

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by u022962, Feb 22, 2020.

1. u022962

u022962 New commenter

Prior to qualifying as primary teacher I was a TA and supported pupils with SEN in mainstream schools. I gained valuable experience working with S & L therapists, OT and other professionals to implement intervention and support programs.
    Whilst working on supply, I volunteered one day per week at a local Special School. I have Early Years experience and have also attended a Portage Training Workshop.
    I am now in my fourth year of permanent teaching role in an inner city school with high levels of additional needs and EAL but I would really love to move into teaching in a Special School. I am seeking advice on how best to make this transition. Are there any additional qualifications or experience I should aim to gain? I am a latecomer to the teaching profession and thus have a limited time to achieve my ambition.
    Many thanks.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

With your current experience and enthusiasm you would make a good candidate already. Most special schools expect to have to train their staff to meet the specific needs of their school population. They tend to look for teachers with energy, flexibility and enthusiasm along with a willingness to learn.

3. dzil

If you want some reading that will help your thinking about teaching in a special school for children with cognitive learning difficulty- maybe to help you with ideas, levels of work and approaches I would recommend:
    Joanna Grace (check out her sensory projects website)
    3 particularly useful titles are : Sensory Stories, Sensory Being for Sensory Beings and Multiple MultiSensory Rooms - helpful for parents, teachers and anyone working with people at the earliest stages of development.
    Keith Parks and Nichola Groves: especially Macbeth in Mind; Romeo and Juliet; Odyssey NOW. (mainly for teachers)
    Les Staves: Very Special Maths (mainly for teachers - has a good website)
    Pete Imray: Anything ! (mainly for teachers again a good website)
    Pete Wells website and podcast (the sensory storyteller)

Good Luck.

lilmisssunshine. likes this.
  4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Agree with @dzil , you are probably ahead of most applicants for SEN Schools.

dzil likes this.
  5. u022962

u022962 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I will certainly try reading your recommendations dzil
    I guess I just have to take the plunge and get applying!

dzil likes this.
  6. dzil

Let us know when you have an interview!
    I look forward to welcoming you to special and supporting you in the future if you will allow me to.

Flanks likes this.