1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on letter of application

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by smilesgomiles, Jan 26, 2016.

1. smilesgomiles

smilesgomiles New commenter

I am applying for a teaching position in an independent school. I have been asked to fill in an application form and send a handwritten letter of application. The application form has large spaces for details and experience gained in teaching posts, skills and interests and my teaching philosophy. These kinds of things I have been including in my letter for other positions so I'm not sure what to put in this letter without repeating myself.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well!

I have read and re-read your post, and I am as much at a loss as you!

They want a hand-written letter to (a) check the legibility of your writing (b) check whether you can follow instructions and actually do send a hand-written letter. . .

I think that the only solution is to write a letter which states quite clearly why you are the candidate for this post.

Something like this:

Dear Mrs Brown

Position of Teacher of Geography

Please find attached my application form for the above post, together with the Equal Opportunities Monitoring form.
    (Or whatever else they wanted you to send).

I am attracted to this post because I believe that I can offer the school the . . . .. .

And go on to sing your own praises.

;)

This might help you:

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Best wishes

3. smilesgomiles

smilesgomiles New commenter

Thank you very much!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck! Come back for the interview advice . . .