1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on keeping/organising subjective notes on students

Discussion in 'Australia - Staffroom' started by ajemmerton, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ajemmerton

ajemmerton New commenter

Hi all,
    This is a bit different to most of the forum topics, but I am really struggling to decide on a good way to keep and organise notes on individual students.
    I am working for an NGO and am the sole teacher so we have no platforms or software set up.
    My instinct is to set up an Excel workbook with a sheet for each student. The type of notes I want to keep track of are informal notes on progress, welfare, comments from managers, etc.

Any advice from people who have set this type of thing up before would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ashley

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  2. kaylawilson4

kaylawilson4 New commenter Tes Australia careers peer advisor

@ajemmerton -- Thanks for the question, Ashley. I've worked across a few different schooling sectors, who all employ centralised databases for this type of thing. However, I have friends who have used Microsoft OneNote to manage notes and resources for multiple classes - but you may find it works for keeping a notebook on each individual student.

Additionally, I've used the App 'TeacherKit' on my iPad to keep track of students, log attendance, seating charts and track grades, notes and other things that I as the teacher would like to record. Check it out as I found it easy to use and it might meet the needs of what you'd like to monitor with your own students. Let me know how you go!

3. KLaidsaar

KLaidsaar New commenter

@ajemmerton - Hi there, I too have only worked in schools where they have centralised data bases. Our school is currently trialling Seqta, which I have found to be very easy to use so far.