1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Heath22, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi all, I hope you don't mind me asking for a bit of help and advice, my mind always goes blank when I have to plan under the pressure that the lesson is going to be watched!
    Anyway, I have to teach a 1 hour creative lesson next week that shows my "out of the box" thinking, which must develop the pupils writing skills through a cross-curricular approach, ucing ICT if appropriate.
    Hopefully somebody wouldnt mind giving me some help/advice/ideas/criticism on the following...
    I enjoy science, especially doing experiments with the children and would like to incorpate this to *hopefully* show this as a strength, so to bring in other curricula areas I thought about usings volcanoes as the subject for the lesson and bringing history into it and teaching about Pompeii.
    I thought I could start by asking what the children know about volcanoes, then to bring in the science element of the lesson I could have a volcano at the front of the class and make it 'erupt' using bicarb and vinegar, in the hope that the children get enthused by the subject of volcanoes! (10-15mins)
    Then maybe show a short video clip of a real volcano.
    As I have laptops as an available resource for the children to use in pairs I thought I could get them spending 5-10 minutes researching some pre-prepared questions about pompeii.
    When the children have done the research get them all back together again to hear the answers to the questions. (10mins)
    Then give the children 15-20 mins to write a short piece of writing (havent quite thought of the subject for this yet) relating to the researched questions/pompeii - possibly a description of what was happening by someone who was there whilst the eruption took place?
    Then for plenary ask a child to read out their work to show what they have learnt.
    I know it's only vague at the minute but any advice would be appreciated!

2. Hi all, I hope you don't mind me asking for a bit of help and advice, my mind always goes blank when I have to plan under the pressure that the lesson is going to be watched!
    Anyway, I have to teach a 1 hour creative lesson next week that shows my "out of the box" thinking, which must develop the pupils writing skills through a cross-curricular approach, ucing ICT if appropriate.
    Hopefully somebody wouldnt mind giving me some help/advice/ideas/criticism on the following...
    I enjoy science, especially doing experiments with the children and would like to incorpate this to *hopefully* show this as a strength, so to bring in other curricula areas I thought about usings volcanoes as the subject for the lesson and bringing history into it and teaching about Pompeii.
    I thought I could start by asking what the children know about volcanoes, then to bring in the science element of the lesson I could have a volcano at the front of the class and make it 'erupt' using bicarb and vinegar, in the hope that the children get enthused by the subject of volcanoes! (10-15mins)
    Then maybe show a short video clip of a real volcano.
    As I have laptops as an available resource for the children to use in pairs I thought I could get them spending 5-10 minutes researching some pre-prepared questions about pompeii.
    When the children have done the research get them all back together again to hear the answers to the questions. (10mins)
    Then give the children 15-20 mins to write a short piece of writing (havent quite thought of the subject for this yet) relating to the researched questions/pompeii - possibly a description of what was happening by someone who was there whilst the eruption took place?
    Then for plenary ask a child to read out their work to show what they have learnt.
    I know it's only vague at the minute but any advice would be appreciated!

3. Good ideas here. The bicarb experiment will have them wanting to do more. Might be messy, but could the children not do that in pairs!! I have done it. Buy foil trays, plastic bottle per pair and they could do it with you!! Im sure the children will love it if they do it with you.
    The writing i would keep as descriptive writing, you have not mentioned Year group, but great to add adjectives, similies, metaphors, personification to describe a volcano erupting. Differentiate by ensuring differrent types of punctuation, and types of language.
    (LA- just adjectives, MA- similie, adjectives, metaphors HA- similes, metaphors, adjectives, personification)
    I would keep the plenary as a peer assessment task of marking the descriptive writing. Three good points and one thing to improve. I would definitely add peer assessment.
    Hope this helps

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

here I am with my hobby horse, but it seems the training institutions are not teaching students how to plan alesson:
    What is your learning objective?
    I endorse what the previous poster has said about your plenary - a plenary needs to involve all children, in order for you to be able to assess learning and progress (another bit of evidence to show that IT trainers are not doing their jobs, apparently).