1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on integrating or dealing with a child with ADHD

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by textilequeen, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Hello. I am a PGCE student doing my final placement in a Year 3 class. I am half way through and it is going well, but I have one student I would value advice on how to deal with him. I am told he has ADHD but he has not got a statement. He has temper tantrums in class, leaping from his seat yelling and rolling on the floor, shouting out and saying rude things about other children. He has hit, pinched and thrown objects at other children. The TA has a good relationship with him and takes him out for a short walk when his behaviour gets out of control, but he often comes back to class and behaves just as badly. Other times he settles down and contributes. The class are very tolerant of him, never saying it is unfair that he is allowed to go get a drink etc when they are not.

The teacher has tried a behaviour book for every lesson, sending him to the deputy head's office, speaking to the parents, meeting the parents. She says the best thing to do is to ignore him and we have put together a plan where if he tantrums he leaves the room with his work and has to complete it in another classroom. We also use a visual timetable to prepare him for the day, morning and afternoon and try to keep the time the children are on the carpet short. He is aggravated by games or movement around the classroom (drama activities) this often triggers a tantrum. He will often shout at me while I am teaching saying that I am doing things wrong. I quietly tell him not to speak to me like that and do not let him have his way.

I am now teaching the class unsupervised. Yesterday, he became agitated when a child from another class ran past the classroom window and ran to the window and started yelling out. When I calmed him down, he hit me quite hard and began yelling so then I struggled to get him out of the class into the class next door with his work. He said I was a liar and then other children had to be removed to give their version of events. This was very disruptive for the other students and concerning for me as I feel the school is blaming me for his behaviour (because he doesn't like change). I am told that he didn't behave this way before I started, however I observe he behaves this way in every class with every teacher he has and is in trouble every playtime and lunch time.

I am keen to reach this child and help him while at the same not neglecting the other children in the class. I believed all the theories I studied on my course that "you can't change the child, you have to change your teaching" The SENCO isn't interested and just makes a few pretty basic suggestions.

The TA is not there for him 1-2-1, she has groups to run and has to be out of the classroom at times. The teacher said she wanted to do some 1-2-1 with him while I was teaching the class, but this has not happened yet. I am worried about being left alone to deal with him in the classroom and a serious incident taking place for which I will be blamed.

Is there anyone who can offer some advice on this situation ? Should I refuse to be alone with him ? Should I continue to send him to another class (I do not want to do this every day- not fair on the other teachers) Do many teacher have a tantrum-ing, yelling child in their classes without support?

2. elizabeth20132

elizabeth20132 New commenter

I am an NQT but also have a background working with pupils such as the child you describe. Firstly with regards to him hitting you, it concerns me that staff are not fully supporting you. Firstly my main advice is talk to your tutor, if his behaviour is this difficult and he doesn't like change it seems neither fair on you or him for you to be left unsupported. I would also advise that if he hits you again, you do not attempt to remove him as he has obviously lost control and will not respond to you (it's unlikely to be personal but at that moment in time you are the focus of his anger.) Instead, walk away and send a child you trust to the nearest available adult. I have worked with pupils before who have a key TA, this is someone who they respond well to who can be freed up to calm down and remove in instances such as this. Again it's not about them being more competent but about children reacting to different people differently.

In terms of intervention it sounds like you are doing everything right so don't worry too much about that. If he has problems with change his outbursts about you doing things wrong may well be correct in his eyes rather than rude. I taught a pupil on placement with ASD who regularly told me I was wrong, what he meant is that's not how my teacher does it. I sat down with his teacher and discussed how I could keep things consistent. It may be worth saying calmly to the child that you will talk to him later or if you have the confidence ask him why he thinks you are wrong at the time.

Hope this helps. Feel free to pm me.

3. carol95

carol95 New commenter

I have also taught a very demanding adhd child throughout the juniors. First I would ask has he had a diagnosis and is he prescribed medication? I`m not a great advocate of medicating children but this made a huge difference in his case. He still made noises, twitched and reacted impulsively but was able to moderate behaviour somewhat. Clear expectations, consistent sanctions and a positive relationship help but it is a long term plan. Be firm consistent and caring. You can both get through this and it could be the most rewarding situation for you both.

4. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

Why would you let a child hit you and did not think about kicking him out of your class room?

Take it further for your own safety. There are many reasons that a child might behave like that and it might not be ADHD at all.

Have a read time.com/.../doctor-adhd-does-not-exist