1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on ice grippers...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by seren_dipity, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Today was the first day this winter of going to work in snow and ice and, as a result, the first day of being terrified that I'll fall. I've looked at the ice gripper options and I'm overcome by indecision. Whilst I don't want to spend a fortune I also don't want to buy a rubbish option.
    I know you lot will be able to help me out... what types of ice grips have you used and were they any good? Any that you'd advise me not to get?
    I nearly bought wellies today since they have reasonable grippy soles but the hassle of changing footwear at work puts me off. Last winter I wore my walking boots to work a lot but I left them at a friend's at the weekend so I'm inclined to get the ice grips as a back up plan.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Today was the first day this winter of going to work in snow and ice and, as a result, the first day of being terrified that I'll fall. I've looked at the ice gripper options and I'm overcome by indecision. Whilst I don't want to spend a fortune I also don't want to buy a rubbish option.
    I know you lot will be able to help me out... what types of ice grips have you used and were they any good? Any that you'd advise me not to get?
    I nearly bought wellies today since they have reasonable grippy soles but the hassle of changing footwear at work puts me off. Last winter I wore my walking boots to work a lot but I left them at a friend's at the weekend so I'm inclined to get the ice grips as a back up plan.

3. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

How stupid of me not to think to search first!

5. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Check our yaktrax - great!

6. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I know you'd rather have me point it out that others!

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

8. My daughter brought some back last year from San Francisco and gave them to me for Xmas - we already had 2ft of snow and got plenty more in January. I must get round to trying them if you think the are OK.

9. I taught in wellies and walking boots for much of last winter. I always meant to change but never quite got around to it...

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I may yet go back and buy wellies - I hated them as a child because they always 'ate' my socks but maybe today's wellie socks stay up. The meds I'm on mean that I also have serious bother keeping my feet warm so they may not be the best option without really good socks.
    I was treated to frozen car doors this morning - not the locks (I got the passenger side unlocked okay) - the door had frozen solidly shut all the way round and it took ages running my key between the door and the rubber seal to release it! I've never had that problem before.
    I'm still dithering over the link, elfie - I have a paypal account but have no idea what my password is so I'm looking at amazon at the moment.
    Also these as play.com don't charge for postage (yet). I'm just not terribly convinced that they'll provide enough traction:
    http://www.play.com/Sports-Outdoors/Outdoors/4-/27500758/Blackspur-Shoe-Steel-Studded-Ice-Grips/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:27500760|prd:27500760
    These appeal because they fit over shoes with heels. I don't wear high heels to work but I do wear footglove trouser shoes and various court shoes so they might be the best option, unless anyone knows otherwise....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yaktrax-WINTERTRAX-Her-Womens-Heeled/dp/B0062O5WD8/ref=sr_1_11?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1323200930&sr=1-11

11. snigger...snigger..has your school not got a crampon vending machine in the loos?

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Bad, bauble...very bad....