1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on how to teach Other Cultures to DISRUPTIVE yr 10s ???

Discussion in 'English' started by web3007, Sep 10, 2007.

1. I am an NQT generally coping well with the mayhem of starting teaching. However, I have a group of year 10 students who are proving very difficult. I have to teach them Poetry From Other Cultures. They spent the first half of the lesson swearing and throwing things. They are infamous for this behaviour - TA says I didn't do so badly! I haven't even mentioned poetry yet! This is a class who clearly have no interest whatsoever in poetry from any culture. I tried getting them to identify their own culture - all I got was one girl drawing an England flag, and the lads mentioned fags and pizza - a start, I know. Am really keen not to lose this group before I get going. Any advice or suggestions would be really welcome. Thanks.

2. I am an NQT generally coping well with the mayhem of starting teaching. However, I have a group of year 10 students who are proving very difficult. I have to teach them Poetry From Other Cultures. They spent the first half of the lesson swearing and throwing things. They are infamous for this behaviour - TA says I didn't do so badly! I haven't even mentioned poetry yet! This is a class who clearly have no interest whatsoever in poetry from any culture. I tried getting them to identify their own culture - all I got was one girl drawing an England flag, and the lads mentioned fags and pizza - a start, I know. Am really keen not to lose this group before I get going. Any advice or suggestions would be really welcome. Thanks.

3. There were lots of ideas on introducing other cultures here, probably on Page 2 by now.

If you have a Smartboard, I can send you a brilliant lesson that our English Co-ordinator did on Vultures and What Were They Like. It shut my chatty Year 11s right up last year!

4. First get some support and remove those causing the disruption.

It's not a sign of failure to deal with the misbehaviour in the classroom by using outside help. You are not on your own in your NQT year (or any other year for that matter)

5. Thanks both. This is the class where they are put when they have exhausted all other options. They are put in this set to avoid pupils who want to learn having to constantly put up with their behaviour. Obviously there is a mechanism to remove them, but I want to try my very best to avoid SLT involvement by trying to wow them with interesting activities. As I said I'm still a naive NQT!! Would very much appreciate aforesaid resources. Thanks. alunjane@hotmail.co.uk

6. If that is the case, then they should definitely NOT be with you! There are rules about what you should and should not have in your NQT year and this is a 'should not'. Please don't feel you have to deal with this yourself. It is often more effective to go outside the classroom, as the kids see you are not just one person. It doesn't have to be SLT - where is the head of dept. or other more experienced colleagues??

7. Have emailed you the smartboard stuff. Email me back if you want it talked through.

Agree with the above poster btw - NQTs should not be given "difficult" classes, I believe that should be cited somewhere in the NQT documentation stuff.

8. Thanks Bunique and Mummy. I appreciate your comments about type of class NQTs are allowed. I'll discuss it with my mentor during the next meeting, but I don't want to come across as all militant - maybe it will lead to a bit more help with planning/resources/assistants. Let's see.

9. The points about the claases you should be given are perfectly valid; however I think your attitude to this does you credit and suggests to me that you'll get this sorted.

I think you're on the right lines chatting abouot their own culture. Try listening to them and try to find some common ground as with classes like this, relationships are the key.

Good luck.

Barrie
    www.podcastrevision.co.uk

10. Hi
    I'm an NQT with exactly the same kind of class - year 10 as well. First lesson I was very strict, had them at separate tables, got them to write rules and expectations. I thought it went badly so got advice. Told to make a relationship with them and do fun activities. When I did that I realised what a really bad lesson with them could be like.
    I'm going back to separate tables, have rung and written home, have senior managers regularly visiting the classroom and a seat waiting in the Head of Dept for anyone disruptive next lesson. I bet it will still be chaos but have been told they are testing me and it will calm down.
    Let me know if you have any top tips or make any headway!

11. I know just how you feel!!! I am also an NQT and have been given the most challenging class of the school, and as irony has it I am also in the process of teaching Poetry from Other cultures!
    I have found that a good way to keep the challenging pupils on task, for at least a while, is to set easy tasks and many of them....
    I have used creativity rather than written work, posters, films, speaking and listening, drawings, grouping things, dancing e.g. for Limbo.... they loved this! I also tend to reward the ones that do some work, although they are year 11's they still enjoy getting a sweet and a star! Some are even happy with comments in their homework diary.
    I reward the ones that work by letting them use the computers for the second half of the lesson, you could find free rooms and send the TA with them.

Of course I have not managed to get all the pupils on board but its a start.

Good luck!!

12. Thanks for advice. I have about one quarter of the class on my side, so maybe keep trying for the positive and try to make one convert per lesson!

I love the computer idea though - will try that tomorrow.

13. MLT

MLT

14. It's a SmartBoard notebook - that okay?

15. Thank you for all the interest and replies. I really mean to take control of this 'orrible little lot! Apart from Bunique's great ppt I also found some really good visual stuff on the resources section of this site under KS4 - check them all out, particularly the powerpoints. The 'Vultures' one should shock them into submission, or send them out screaming. Either way - a result. BTW the podcastrevision site is fabulous too.

16. Completely understand, I too am an NQT and have been given the bottom set in year 10 where no one managed to score a level in their SATs. Believe it or not this is the first year that they are expecting all pupils to sit their lit GCSE and it is driving me crazy. Any ideas?

17. After a disasterous lesson on Tuesday I had an ace lesson with my Year 10 nutters today. The difference was this: I used a style I knew I was confident in, I did loads of little tasks, beginning with a word search, and I walked around the class getting to know them personally. I only managed about two or three people but I asked whether they wanted GCSE english (in a non-judgemental, non-confrontational way, just to see if they geniunely were interested - they all answered yes). I also got extra help in, so had a TA and an AST in to help around the class. I sat them in separate tables around the room. I also have been ringing home to report unsatisfactory behaviour and today could ring home to report good behaviour. As an NQT this has been an amazing confidence booster and can imagine them being a favourite class that if I get three GCSE's out of fifteen will be dead chuffed with myself.
    On the other hand I expect to be back on the msg board in two days time despairing again!!!

18. bergh

bergh New commenter

bunique-please may i have the smart notebook thingy-as an mfl teacher struggling to teach english it sounds perfect!
    shaunandrachel@hotmail.com