1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on HOW TO RESIGN prior to beginning of academic year

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Calverlan, May 6, 2011.

1. Calverlan

Calverlan New commenter

Hi all,
    Im in a difficult position. I have signed a contract with a school for september, I like it and Im happy with the contract, but, I really dont like to move to that location. I was forced to sign becz nothing else came up at the time and was getting worried.
    I feel sorry somehow, I dont want to mess around with the interviewing board that seemed so nice. But I want to take my other offer. Money is the same, but place is better.
    What to do in this case? Is the school going to be seriously troubled if they receive a refusal notification in May? Can they still advertise the vacancy on tes?
    THX

2. I expect there will be many other teachers handing in notice in the next few weeks before the May deadline. Its inconvenient but schools cope with it and move on. The fact that OP has not started yet makes no difference. People do change their minds all the time after accepting jobs.
    I worked in a school once where a new Head was appointed. A few weeks later he changed his mind. It was inconvenient in the short term but it was better in the long term to appoint someone else who was fully committed to the job.

3. I agree with you on this part but disagree with

If someone working in the school hands their notice in you advertise, see who is out there, offer a job

If the OP backs out ... all of that has already happened ... the people who wanted to apply for the job have done so, the process has been gone through ... a second advert is costly and will not bring as good a response as the first

4. pencho

pencho New commenter

But the cost of the 2nd advert would be incurred anyway if they left after one term anyway. Also I've found a lot of the time that the 2nd or even 3rd advert for a job can bring better candidates sometimes. I don;t think its alwasy the first advertisement that gets the best. People look at different times. Just my opinion.

5. They do ... I was thinking of my experiences where they retract pretty quickly

I would always prefer not to have the candidate if they did not really want the job and think that the
    changes in teaching recruitment where an immediate response is less vital are good ... but could go further

6. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

I agree that once you have commited to a contract you should honour it. You accept a lob you shouldnt even have carried on looking for others so the issue so not have arose.
    I you suddenly decide that you dont want to go to that school it does leave the in a very difficult person as they are now likely to havr difficulties filling a vacancy that they had previously offered to you.
    It is unprofessional.
    Having said that I long maintianed a view that teachers should be on one months notice. I know this would have soem problems occasionally with continuity of teaching but the benefits would far out way the disadvantages.
    The theory that if we ahd one months notice we would all start changing school severy 2 minutes is ludicrous, but were moves are required (which could be for any number of reasons) one omnths notice should be sufficient and is the norm in all other professions

7. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Nonsense. The fact that the OP hasn't started yet makes every difference. Those in existing employment, resigning close to half term are an entirely different issue. You don't appoint someone and expect them to resign before they've even stepped in the classroom. You do expect that current teachers might resign at any stage prior to half term and for all sorts of reasons...That is their right. (There again, I know of someone who decided to retire (as was his right) but only said so on the last day of the May half term - which was a means of 'getting back' at management who had given him a hard time and, as an unforseen consequence, a means of inconveniencing his former colleagues who had a hell of a job dealing with the fall out during the next term...)
    If the OP had accepted, signed on the dotted line, seen the error of his ways <u>a few days later</u> and then gone back to the school and backed out, I'm sure the school would have been a bit miffed, but they would have had plenty of time to reorganise, a new advert made, or others on the short list offered the job. Leaving it this late is poor form. Unprofessional.

8. I think this is the key thing.
    Let's take the scenario proposed by the OP to its (il-)logical conclusion:
    I really want a job in one particular school. It is not clear they wil have a vacancy this year. I apply for a job in January (to start in Sept) in the neighbouring county and accept the job. In Feb a school I don't like much but which is closer to home advertises. I accept this job because it will be more convenient and decline the first one. In March a job in a school I quite like in my county comes up - I get this one (lots of interview practice by now, so I am rather good at it!). In April my absolutely favouritest school advertises for a job, so I apply for this and throw over the others.
    This is ridiculous, wrong and unfair. If the practice proposed by the OP were to become widespread then contracts in teaching would mean nothing at all and every head of maths would be pacing anxiously on the first day of term wondering whether the teachers they are expecting would actually turn up!
    The bottom line is that this was a contract freely entered into by the OP. They, despite what they say, were not "forced" to accept the job. The school hasn't suddenly moved somewhere less convenient!

9. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

'every head of maths would be pacing anxiously...'
    Funny you should say that Naz.
    My very first term as hod, an NQT we had appointed the previous term just never showed up. At least we managed to get the text books back off him in the end.
    Bric
    (would much rather have known earlier!)

10. I think you are not only wasting the time of people in schools, but also the time of people on this Forum.
    In this thread, less than a month ago, you were bad-mouthing your former head teacher. Their behaviour was potentially (I don't know the facts, clearly) unprofessional. So is yours.
    Then you plan to take a year out of schools to teach TEFL. In other threads you ask about teaching Italian and make it clear you are a music teacher.
    Stop. Take a deep breath. Sort out what you want to do. Commit to it. But please don't waste our time on this forum.
    Thank you.

11. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Maybe I'm old fashioned. However, I don't like the idea of staff disappearing half way through the year at one month's notice. Particularly true if they have key exam classes. And, it stitches up the rest of the department no end. In our neck of the woods, there ain't hoards of replacements waiting for employment...

12. weggster

weggster New commenter

I'd rather re-advertise than have someone who has itchy feet in my department.
    OP: also realise that you should never apply for a job in that county again if you back out.

13. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Does that mean that you would be averse to employing someone who was prepared to jump ship. In which case one month's notice might not be such a big deal, since ethical HODs and heads would think very carefully about taking someone who was prepared to leave their school and kids in the lurch. Or do you think it's the case that most SMT left their ethics in the classroom and don't give a damn about the damage they inflict on other schools.

I would also hope that any decent caring teacher would never consider leaving halfway through a term without a very good reason - usually the kind that means you are not immediately looking for another job.

However, as I've said before, there might be one positive aspect to having one months notice. Applications for positions might be a little more manageably distributed, rather than in 3 large chunks.

Actually, at the moment, I'm looking forward gleefully to May 31st, when most UK teachers won't be chasing the jobs I'm after, so the current scheme suits me fine.

14. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

I am not sure if this is your view, David. Either way, I don't subscribe to the idea that most SMT have left their ethics behind. If they had them in the first place, they would bring them into their new role. No doubt some SMT in some schools are somewhat ethically challenged, just as some teachers are, but there is no case for generalising to all of them.

15. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

No, Piranha, I'm not presenting this as my view. What I was trying to say is that as long as SMT consider the effect [on another school] of recruiting someone mid-term, and the ethics of a teacher who's prepared to jump mid-term, then a month's notice would probably not actually make much of a change to the recruitment cycle.