1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on how to kick off the GCSE course with my new year 10 class with a double lesson of 100 mins (I'm an NQT)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by bpriestley1, Aug 18, 2011.

1. I've finally discovered how indecisive I am when I've come to plan anything remotely concrete for my classes in September. I practically have carte blanche on how to go about it but am so worried about getting it wrong that I can't seem to make any decisions on how to kick off...
    Can anyone help / empathise / find me a tin of "decisiveness"?!

2. Random175

Random175 New commenter

I know how you feel. This time I don't know any of my groups and they have been forced to take a language because of the E-bacc. I know they are pretty much on board but I thought I would start with a dose of winning hearts and minds, a very brief overview of the GCSE and expectations, and then a reasonably easy revision activity involving 'pair work/group work' aswell as a bit of admin with books. Typically I stand in front of groups sometimes for the first time and change everything so it feels right.

3. mpc

mpc

Don't worry - you can't possibly get it wrong!
    Personally, I'm going to start with an intro to the GCSE presentation of some kind and then test they've been listening by doing a Millionaire type quiz. They can then re-write the information in a format they understand.
    After that I may well issue a list of key terms with examples and perhaps do a game based on that (putting things into categories. I'm thinking past tense verbs, future verbs, opinions, subordinate clauses, reasons etc.
    All will be well!!
    mpc :)